News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Delbert in the UK

Started by UKDelbert, February 26, 2016, 04:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKDelbert

Hello fellow visionaries.

I live in Chippenham in southern England and cycling home from work I placed a little advert in the local newsagent "Resto Project Wanted" - just to see if anything would turn up.

Well a chap rang me with a badly knocking XZ550 - he also had loads of spares and even a spare engine.
(Before you chivvy in with loose starter clutch, etc - this guy knows al the in's and out's of the XZ problems)

Well I took it home because it is an unusual machine - its a classic now because of its age but NOT a popular classic like RD400's, RD350LC's and Honda 400/4's, etc ,etc

UKDelbert

Have done a bit of playing about and it also has a electrical problem.

Also done compression checks and all readings on both engines are low. Front cylinder of spare engine reads zero.. :o

Bike is presently to one side in the garage while I finish off a little TW125.
I also own a XJR1300, a 1980 Benelli 350/4

Most importantly I also own a 1976 Yamaha RD400 (since 2003) and I am the editor of the magazine for the Aircooled RD club.

UKDelbert

QBS

Welcome to the group.  It seem that with your background, if anyone can bring a V back to life, you would certainly be on the shortlist.  Let us know how we can help.  Cheers.  '83 owner since '84.

jefferson

These things were known to take out the rod bearing on the rear cylinder which causes quite a knock. Just a heads up. Good luck with your investigation.
Looking at your picture I noticed that your dual disc front end has the larger rotors, or at least they appear to be. Our 82 model had a large single disc and in 83 we got the dual disc, but they were a smaller diameter. Your bike looks like it has 2 of the larger 82 discs. I never realized there was that difference between US and other markets.

UKDelbert

Pretty sure the bike has been imported into the UK from one of the countries of mainland Europe.

It still has MOT till july so could be ridden on the roads if I could get it running on 2 cylinders and it did not sound like a bag of spanners.

lexx790

Hi and welcome from a fellow Brit, sorry to hear about the rattly engine.
Mine started to rattle just before the rains came last year, and I'm now about to strip the engine out again.
I had the crank reground when I first restored it 6 or so years ago.
The shell bearings were replaced with Austin mini bearing as they go down in size by 0.010" to -0.040" ( i think ).
This is a coincidence as I'm now in the middle of a Austin mini restoration.
Good luck with finding your problem. 

vl5150

I'd like to extend a warm welcome as well.  I have a '82 Vision.  Up until a few months ago I had the trifecta of the R5, RD350, and RD400.  I enjoyed them all, but it was time to move on.

UKDelbert

Some more of my stuff on the Japanese Yamaha web site.

My pictures and words

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/mc/55mph/rz

vl5150

It's interesting how there's many of us "weirdos" that are attracted to different kind of bikes.  I think the Vision is an interesting stablemate to the RD series.  The Vision is the "next size up" compared to the RD's, but it handles lightly, almost too light some would say.  I bought by Vision barely running with only 3000 miles and after I sorter her out, it's been a pleasure to own.  I think it takes a different skillset and a special love for the machine to spend the time to learn it's nuances like the carbs, etc.  Kind of like a 2 stroke so you're in the right place.

For me, I sold the 2 strokes after having had fun on them, but kept the Vision.  The RD's are like nasty vixens that you don't want to take home to mom, but the Vision is one that you can marry.

UKDelbert

Hello chaps, someone asked how the XZ was progressing.

Its presently on hold and stored - I had to set priorities. You can only do one job at a time.
So I got on and finished the TW125 resto and got it on the road

(see photo)

Next I am doing the magazine for the calne bike meet, I have a RD400 to rebuild and prepare and do the ACU National rally and attend the RD rally.

Then perhaps I can look at the XZ550 and the spare engin

Walt_M.

Delbert, you appear to be a little larger than the ideal RD400 rider. I put 22,000 miles on my RD400 even though I am 6 ft even and was 180 lbs. I am still 6 ft but now 235 lbs and have an RZ350, VPVS on your side of the pond.  I feel like I fit the RZ just fine.
Whale oil beef hooked!