News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Looking to take my Vision out of storage - Looking for some guidance

Started by red66tempest, April 24, 2016, 11:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red66tempest

My Vision has not run for at least 5 years.  So I'm looking for some advice on how to it properly with the least problems...

First:  I do have a question about what year and model it really is.  I have owned it since 1986, and I have always considered it a 1982.  My title calls it an XZ550RJ.  My manual is for an XZ550RK.  My VIN starts with a "J", but does that mean anything?  Mine has the full fairing with the heater vents and is Red with gold decals.  A lot of photos of 82's don't have the fairing.  I have seen photos of bikes and the decals look white.  What year are those?  I have heard of bikes with gold colored wheels, mine are not gold.  I have replaced the gas tank,.  Mine has 2 holes, I have heard that 82's had 2 holes and 83's have 3 holes.  Am I correct?  I do not have a gas gage, I think the 83's have a gage.  I have heard the specs on the 83 carbs are different, is the correct?  Could my bike a little of each made at the 82-83 switch over?  If so, is this a problem with parts and specs???

As far as the bile sitting a long time, obviously I need to do the usual things:
- New battery.
- Change all the fluids, gas, oil, anti-freeze, brake fluid, fork seals & oil,
- New tires, these are dry rotted.
- New air cleaner.  Where do I find this?  I recall 10 years ago that the local Yamaha dealer could not get this anymore.  Any suggestions?

Other things:
- I'm concerned about the rings.  I don't want to do damage.  Any suggestions here?
- My tach didn't work the last few time I rode it.  Cable?  What else could it be?
- Best place on-line to get parts?

Your help is appreciated!!!!  TY

I hope to be up and running for this season!!!!

fret not

RJ is '82, RK is '83, black wheels is '82, gold wheels is '83, so you most probably have an '82 and a manual for '83.  Fairings were offered originally in '82 as an add-on accessory.  All '83s came with fairings installed.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

red66tempest

fret nut,  TY. 

On Lucky's page it lists a service manual.  Can I buy one of those through 'Riders of Vision'?  I checked on Amazon, there are 2.  Any thoughts on which one is better?  Or get both!

#1.  Official '82-'83 Yamaha XZ550R factory Service manual $89.95
#2. 1982 & on Haynes Yamaha Motorcycle XZ550Vision V-twin Service manual $37.95

On Lucky's page, on one of his links he mentions a modification kit for the carb.  Hmmmm.  Not sure if I should do that, or just try to get it back to stock and running.  Where do you find parts on such an old bike?  Is there an on-line site that carries parts?

I bought this Vision in 1986.  I first saw the Vision on the cover of Cycle World in May 1982.  I still have that issue.  Should I scan the article and put it on this site?  Would people be interested?

Re-Vision

I would like to see the Cycle World story, I bought my first Vision in 82 because of a magazine article depicting the Vision as the motorcycle I couldn't live without. Check out E-Bay for manuals, you should find them cheaper. I also have some carb parts and most other Vision parts.    BDC

red66tempest

Hi Re-Vision,

- I have the Cycle World issue from May 1982 with the Vision on the cover.

I also have:
- An issue of Motor Cyclist magazine, 1982 Motorcycle Buyer's Guide, which did a road test on the Vision.
- A brochure from the Yamaha dealership in 1982.
- An article from Cycle World Buyer's Guide 1984.  Just a photo copy of the article.

Obviously I REALLY wanted a Vision!  I finally got mine in '86, unfortunately it's been sitting for 5 years.  I'ld like to get it running again.  I don't know where most people are, I'm in Boston MA.  I could use some assistance...

I'll pdf everything and put it up on Rider's of Vision.  How do I do get it up in the site?  Obviously I could email it to individuals, but it would be better to get it on the site.

fret not

Check out the signature line on any of Profit of Doom postings.  He has links where you can download many technical publications including  the xxxxxxx and the factory service manual.  You will find he has been VERY helpful to the ROV comunity. :police:
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

@Bobby, there are 2 articles from 1982 Cycle world on the resources page, and one from 1983.

@red66tempest, All the manuals except Haynes are up on the on the resources page.   Thanks, I don't think the 1984 buyers guide is up there.  send it to me and I'll load it up.  Haynes is OK, but I don't think any better than the factory manuals, and in some parts much worse.  There are e-copies floating round on the webs of Haynes if you

@fretnut, most of the work scanning was not done by me so there are others to thank: nightvision, lucky, xz550.de ausvision to name a few, but many others before my time.  All i did is scan a few and organise things a bit and make them available for free.  Little enough from the benefits I get from being a visionary.

red66tempest

Hi ProphetOfDoom,

I just tried to send a reply with the following pdfs:
- Article from Cycle World May 1982
- Article from 1982 Motorcycle Buyer's Guide
- Article from Cycle World Buyer's Guide 1984
- 1982 Vision brochure

The reply seems to have failed!!!  Can I email them to you directly?

I also have the brochures for a 1972 Yamaha DS7 (250cc)  My first bike I bought new when I was 16.  And brochures for an RD350  & RZ350.  If anyone is interested.

I'm still concerned about the best way to move the bike without damaging the rings.  I'm thinking I would pull the plugs and squirt in a little mystery oil and let it sit for a day.  Good idea?  Bad idea?

I will definitely use your resource library.  TY.  I'll also look for the service manual on Ebay.

Appreciate your  assistance

QBS

Cylinder lubing is a good idea. Has your starter had its' oil seal upgraded to the spring lip design?  How many miles on the bike?  Has its' starter clutch been reattached?  Stay with the '82 carbs and be prepared to clean them a lot at first.  Install an inline fuel filter ASAP if you don't already have one.  Welcome to the group.

red66tempest

Hi QBS,

- Good.  I will lube the cylinders.  With Mystery oil?  Or do you recommend something else?
- Starter oil seal?  I'm sure it is still as it came out of the factory.  Is this s tough job?  Are there instructions for this somewhere in the club info?  Maybe ProfitOfDoom's info?  I'll check.  Where do I get the parts?  If it's important, I will do it.
- 18,222 miles
-  Re-attached the starter clutch?  I didn't know it was detached! 
-  I was definitely figuring that the carbs needed to be rebuilt.  Again, I don't know where to look for parts for such an old bike.  Is there a good on-line site for parts?
-  In-line fuel filter makes sense.  Again, wherever I can get parts, I would think they would have an appropriate filter.  I did replace the gas tank on the bike about 8 years ago.  I did a worldwide search on-line that took me through England, to Switzerland, to a guy in Japan who was the president of the Vision club there and he GAVE me a matching tank.  AMAZING.  I sent him Red Sox shirts for 2 Japanese pitchers on the Red Sox back then....

TY.  I actually joined the group back then, but disappeared when I stopped riding the bike.  Hope to be up and running this season.

Rikugun

Welcome back red66tempest  :) Any Vision articles not already on POD's resource page I for one would be very interested in looking at!

Re: the air filter - K&N and UNI both sell cleanable filters with the former probably being a bit more $. Many aftermarket cycle parts emporiums have lots of V parts. Many have an E-bay store as well if you prefer.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rikugun

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

red66tempest

TY Rikugun,

I will definitely check out these sites.  I did look briefly, but I need to look deeper.  Carb kits and fuel filter are first.  Battery and fluids I can get locally.

I'm thinking I should first tackle the battery, put a little oil in the cylinders to protect the rings, rebuild the carbs, clean out the fuel systems, and change all the fluids.  And then see if I can get it running. 

Once its running I can chase the tires, seals, cables, lights, etc.  And hope there are no surprises.

Walt_M.

Don't forget the brakes. Also the bolts in the rear brake stay, front and rear.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Kenny

Hi,
    Welcome to the site.  What sort of procedures did you follow when you parked the bike ? For instance did you leave the tank and Carbs with fuel in them ? If so you will need to have the Carbs disassembled and cleaned . The gas that is available these days will leave varnish deposits and plug most of the orifices inside. Take your time with disassembly and take photo's with your phone for reassembly.
  The 82 I bought in 83 had some stumbling issues and I talked with Yamaha Canada at the time who was very helpful (I realize this is not possible anymore) But I ended up with a set of 83 carbs on it. These are fun bikes and I have ridden across Canada 6 times on my 83. In Canada our 83's came with black wheels same as the European models .
                Have fun
               Cheers Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

QBS

Be prepared to rebuild the starter motor, and upgrade the oil seal with a spring lip design.  At 18k+ miles, if you don't know the repair history of the starter clutch, be prepared to reattach the starter clutch to the engine rotor.  No V dodges this bullet.  Both of these upgrades are well addressed by the Haynes manual and this Forum.  They need not be expensive, depending on the amount of damage the starter clutch has suffered.  Parts are available.

red66tempest

Thank You QBS,  I guess I will get the Haynes manual as well as the Yamaha Service Manual. 

Kenny,  I did nothing when I parked it.  It wasn't intended to be parked for a long duration.  I was having problems with a leaking gas tank and a sticky float, and never got back to it.  I did get another gas tank that I never put on it. 

I will up date as get this going.  I hope!

gsvision

Hi Fellas,
I'm new here and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Tod from San Francisco, hence the GS (golden State) as my handle.
I picked up a '82 xz runner a couple months ago and had to have the fix a leaking tank. Now I'm going through the usual maintenance. Fluids, cables, new tires ect. The bike was sitting for nearly twenty years in dry storage with 9000 old miles on it. I'm finding the rubber hoses and intake manifolds are dry and cracking. I'm hoping new vacuum hoses and a rebuild will sort out the stumble. I'm also hoping I don't need to source a thermostat.
Any way I guess red66tempest and I are on the same page, so to speak. Good luck red and thanks all of you for being here, as Rov seams to be the place to be.
Wish me luck as I'm hoping to ride down to the Quail Gathering next week.   

Walt_M.

Gotta love an optimist. Have you checked to see if it is charging the battery? Really a simple test, put a voltmeter on the battery terminals,  should be 11-12 volts.  Start the engine and rev it to 2000-3000 rpm,  should be 13-14 volts. Does the front brake work? And the starter is probably full of engine oil.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

Welcome gsvision and congrats on your Vision purchase. Every once in a while you can find the manifolds on E-bay. You might also try a PM to VisionaryDan http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?action=profile;u=649 as he had a new set for sale a while back. Also, I think the thermostat crosses to a common size and/or the Yamaha part number may still be valid.