News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Rear tire conundrum...130/70 or 120/70 possible?

Started by dgr8one85, April 26, 2016, 10:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgr8one85

My rear is shot and dry rotted from the previous owner.  It currently has a 100/90 up front, and a 120/90 out back.  Sourcing a 120/90 rear tire has limited to possibly 1 option in regards to manufacturer and model.  But it seems there is a "larger" selection of front tire options in that size.  I attempted a search through the forums, and noticed many biased opinions in regards to bike turn in, and riders not to fond of the "slower turn in" feel with the wider tire fittings.  Honestly, between the bikes I have ridden in the past, this is hands down the twitchiest handling bike I have ever ridden, and I would not be disappointed if my turn in slowed down a bit. 

I wonder if running a tire intended for the front, in the back would carry odd handling characteristics.  And if running a 130/70 or 12070, being a smaller sidewall would wrap the tire for a sharper profile, and possible allow for proper clearance of the swing arm.  Most rear tires i've seen almost look like a mirror image of the fronts, so if you mounted a front tire in the back, would you have to mount it backwards?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated before I make my purchase. 

Thanks!

Walt_M.

If money is no object, you might want to try the new Continental Classic Attack radials. They are supposed to be designed to work with the narrow rims. I have been on an RZ350 site and they use the same size tire as the Vision. Some of the members have tried them and like them. When I get my Vision going again, I plan to give them a try.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Walt_M.

Yes. Like I said,  the RZ350 uses the same width rims as the Vision and a couple of the RZ guys have tried them and liked them.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

FWIW, I just ordered my new Conti Classic Attack radials. The sizes are limited so I got a 90/90 18 front and a 120/90 18 rear. Now to get it running.
Whale oil beef hooked!