News:

Main Menu

Salt 2 salt topic

Started by Walt_M., May 07, 2016, 08:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt_M.

As you know,  I have been away a long time and I just read this account.  It is kind of amazing,  the guy seemed to have no mechanical skills and apparently he did not know enough to realize what an undertaking it would be. He was lucky enough to find a mechanic,  or mechanics,  who knew what a Vision was and what to look for and actually fix it. I would like to know how much he spent but that was his only post.  Did anyone try to contact him?
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Hi Walt, what is this referenced to?  Salt, like salt on the roads during the winter, or salt, like the Bonneville Salt Flats?  A problem with the Bonneville salt is that it has been in bad condition and several events have been cancelled over the past couple years.  Supposedly the situation is changing.  The mining company near Wendover UT is supposedly no longer taking material from the North side of I-80, and supposedly replacing some material on that side of the highway.  The mining company is mostly extracting potash, but the salt has suffered over the years as a result of the potash mining.  There is an organization, "Save the Salt" that is actively engaged with the government and the mining business to restore the Bonneville Salt Flats toi a usable condition.  Years ago there was a race course 13 miles long, now they have difficulty getting 5 miles.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

The eighth post down, I guess you have forgotten it.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

fret not

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: fret nut on May 09, 2016, 01:15:40 AM
Ocean to ocean! :-[ :D
That's nothing ! I've done than in New Zealand on a scooter

Jirik

POD: ;D
Here in Europe is it a little more complicated, we have big Russia in the east :o
But if man want, nothing isn't impossible. That showed rider Pavel Suchy with old Jawa 350. He traveled around world 8 months, rode 49 000 km and he spent a less money, than is a price of new BMW GS. And on the road he met more crazy people, who had traveled on smaller and older vehicles 8)
Here is his websides with wonderful photos:

http://www.jawakolemsveta.cz/fotogalerie

fret not

Jirik, thanks for this post.  It is an inspiration, maybe inspire some dreams of riding to far away places . . . . . . . and home again.