News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Series Reg/Rec Problem

Started by turbosteve84, May 11, 2016, 03:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turbosteve84

So I installed the Polaris SH775BA Series R/R on my Visioné Café Racer, along with the Triumph adapter. Looked straightforward enough. Except now the ignition never turns off. With the stock R/R -- not a problem. I checked the Tech Section, but did I miss something? I really don't want to run the stock unit.

--Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

Rikugun

uh-oh

I'm not sure what the "Triumph" adapter is but it sounds like brown and red have a connection where they shouldn't. Brown and red are normally connected via the main switch when the key is turned on.

Incidentally, I think this may happen if you inadvertently connect the 4 position TCI plug into the R/R and vice versa. If that's what happened, the TCI may be damaged as well due to putting 12v+ where it doesn't belong.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Walt_M.

I am not familiar with this mod but somehow the voltage to the ignition is no getting switched off. Does it shut off with the kill switch?
Whale oil beef hooked!

b_racuda

When I replaced my R/R with the Honda CBR 600 R/R I did not use any adapter, I just cut the wires and rerouted them:
Three wires from the stator connected to yellow ones from the R/R. Then from the R/R red connected with 30A fuse between straight to the battery positive. The green from R/R connected to the battery negative. From the battery positive a new line to the bikes fuse box and to the starter relay.

fret not

I have a sneaking feeling that Rikugun may be right about plugging the alternator connection to the TCI unit making it impossible to shut the switch off.  I hope this is not the case, as it can fry the TCI.

IGNITEC can make a new ignition control box, but hopefully your old one is still good.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

Initially I though so too but Steve does say it doesn't happen with the stock unit. It could be the conversion cable used has some connectivity differences relative to the XZ wiring. I'd be curious to see the wiring connections on the new unit versus the old. Maybe it's as simple as two wires are in the wrong position.

I'd imagine the new one has 3 ac inputs, a ground and a 12vdc+. If it's a MOSFET there shouldn't be a voltage sensing (brown) wire I think.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

fret not

This one is SERIES, not MOSFET, though that shouldn't matter much, and a schematic would be a good map to follow.  Something is wrong, so now everything in the electrical system COULD be suspect.  Those little electrons can get to places you can't see.

Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

George R. Young

turbosteve84

Wow! I think George might have nailed it. I'll pass this along to my electrics guy. Last time I tried to do electric work myself I took out half the Northeast US grid (yeah, that was me. Sorry).

For the record, the connections were all in the right place before the battery was installed, so no chance of the TCI being fried. The Triumph adapter I was referring to is the T2500676 unit.

Below, for your amusement, is a photo of the wiring as it stands now. Tomorrow's job is for me to make it all nice and tidy before my electrics guy returns next week to connect the Motogadget.

Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

The Prophet of Doom

Your electric guy would probably prefer not too tidy so he can trace your wiring easier.
BTW Love your redneck footpegs

Rikugun

Hey, don't laugh. I wear a hat of the same material to guard against government mind control and the deadly electromagnetic fields.

turbosteve84

A picture is worth a thousand words.

For anyone going with the Shindengen 775 Series R/R see the image below. Once you have the Triumph wiring adapter, this is ALL you have to do to modify if for the Vision. Note that the top right brown wire was removed from the 4-prong connector. And that's an aftermarket male connector that gave me the locking tab I needed to connect it to the stock female connector on the Vision.

Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com