Another one bites the dust, my Vision is gone.

Started by don_vanecek, May 18, 2016, 03:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

don_vanecek

Well gang, sorry to say but my Vision left me today.  I was the original owner from 1984, ran it until 2013, then it developed an engine noise (at 45,000 miles) and  I never ran it again. Lots of memories go with the bike, I met both in person and on line many interesting persons from ROV over the years.  In it's prime that Vision was a wonderful bike.  I am now 66 and I have had now for 3 years a 2000 Kawasaki Concours so don't feel too sorry for me.  I just did not feel like investing anymore time or money on the old girl.  The new owner is an independent bike shop who is taking the chance they may or may not make a penny on the deal-maybe the motor is easily fixable, maybe it is trash, maybe you will see it being parted out.   

I did save one last Vision item however, although I never used it, I do have the Valve suppressor.  If you are pretty sure you will attempt to adjust the valves on your Vision I will be glad to send it to you, no charge, first come first served but I expect you to actually own a Vision that you really would like to have to tool to change a shim as part of adjusting them.  PM me. 

Bye gang!

Rikugun

Hey Don, Sorry to see you without a Vision but I am glad you are still involved in motorcycling. The Connie seems to be a popular model and having a Kawi myself I can attest to their longevity and reliability.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Walt_M.

Well Don, hate to see you go but I think I understand. You have put a lot of miles on your Vision, more than most, and the engine problem would be maybe too much. Good on your offer of the valve tool but I have one also, hope somebody takes your offer. Good luck on your travels and always be careful.
Whale oil beef hooked!

George R. Young

In 2003, I also graduated from a Vision to a Concours, which I still have. Great for longer distances, a bit of a handful around town.

Kenny

Hi Don ,
    I am sorry to see you sold your "V" !  I will be 67 this fall and just got mine out of hibernation (it had been sitting since 2013 when I rode it from Ont. to our new home to be in British Columbia) I ran it out of fuel and had added fuel stabilizer & it started right up with a new batch of fuel.
    I remember a ride we had together going towards the 25th Celeb. when you ran out of fuel , I always suspected those bits you had added to the carbs had richened up the mixture !
    If you are ever out to British Columbia send us an e-mail - lots of great roads here in the Rockies .
                               Cheers Ken Stuart
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

don_vanecek

Wow Kenny, nice to hear from you, yeah I remember that-what trip that was, I am still a lousy rider when it come to lots of curves!  Yes George, that Connie can be a handful...that is until the wheels are rolling, then it sure is something, I have read many of your posts and tips on the two Connie web sites.   

don_vanecek

Sorry guys, Rikugun  was first, wish I had one to send all of you who replied, when I bought mine I was told they were no longer available (years ago) but later the guy at the independent MC parts store, who was also a member of the VJMC club in my area came up with one, what a surprise- but then I never used it.

Rikugun

I've asked Don about this and he can't remember either....

Within the last several years, who was the member who offered up a loaner tool?

I believe it got lost if that helps refresh a memory.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Rikugun on May 23, 2016, 07:52:56 PM
I've asked Don about this and he can't remember either....

Within the last several years, who was the member who offered up a loaner tool?

I believe it got lost if that helps refresh a memory.
It was Bobby Crabb (Re-vision).  We don't see him much these days but he helped a great many people with his generosity.

Rikugun

Thanks POD and I agree Bobby is a stand up Visionary. I'd been in communication with him recently on another topic so I'll pick his brain on this latest item too.

vl5150

Don,

I'll take the tool. My Vision just hit 4000 miles so time for a valve adjustment! 

Rikugun

vl5150 , if you are serious about adjusting your valves, let's talk when you return from your trip.