Hitting the Road with the Vision

Started by vl5150, May 26, 2016, 04:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vl5150

I got the Vision all done up on her travel configuration and I'm going to do a 500 mile trip as soon as work of over today.  I have the rain covers on the baggage, which means it won't rain.  It's going to be a fun trip.

Rikugun

Good luck and have fun on the trip. Maybe share some details when you get back?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

vl5150

I'm back!  The trip went well. I used the Vision as an excuse to do a tour to Orlando FL to attend the Megacon event.  I had done another trip to Orlando on my '84 Nighthawk 700 and it wasn't very comfortable for me.  The seat is horrible and the pegs are too high to do anything more than 100 miles without going to the nuthouse in pain so I decided to try the Vision.   I jumped on Amazon.com I picked up the Dowco saddlebags, tail bag, Coleman seat pad, and cramp buster for the throttle. That got the Vision converted for touring in Florida.  The saddle bags fit very well and I did the straps so I can easily remove them in 2 mins to sling over my shoulder and into the hotel. Anyway the ride was actually pretty good for a 550 and I kept the speed between 70-80MPH and all was good.   For me comfort was excellent and I used the regular pegs and shifted my boots to the passenger pegs to rest my legs.   Because of the heat here in FL, I go without a windscreen to keep me cooled down. The modifications and function of the bike worked out well with the exception of my headlight high beam going out and a few miles per gallon less due to slightly rich jetting.  I did about 500 miles and would not hesitate to jump back on the Vision for another trip soon.  That's more than I can say about a bunch of other bikes I've ridden.  So just a quick recap of my ride and it was a good experience.

fret not

Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

QBS

Your lower mpg might be due to the increased aero drag created by your touring accessories.  Very happy to hear that all went well.  A well sorted V is an excellent Sport Touring bike.

Rikugun

Thanks for the trip report and I'm glad to hear it went well. I was particularly happy with what I didn't hear - complaints of engine overheating with the Florida temps.

It's funny how the smallest things can make an appreciable difference in comfort. Switching between peg locations, a comfy seat cushion, and a throttle aid can pay huge dividends on extended rides.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

QBS

For me, a wrist rest is essential for long road comfort.  A TIP for all:  If you're out on the road and get caught in wet weather without luggage rain covers, stop at the closest store and buy a box of large plastic garbage bags, and cover your cargo with them.  They also can work wonders for your body in cold, and or, wet weather, tear appropriate holes in them and insert body. Think outside the box.  BTDT often.

vl5150

Yep, it was a good trip.  I was looking over my carb settings with a new critical eye and I was slightly fat in the midrange.   I think it's more noticeable in FL when we have the humidity skyrocket in the summer and airflow isn't so clean.

I was running 125 air jets and realized that they were Factory Pro jets, which are Keihin sized.   I found some Keihin 130's in my stash so I popped those in.  Of course I was in a rush and dropped one of the jets down the barrel.  I used a long metal straw duct taped into a vacuum cleaner to suck it out after tape, etc wasn't doing the trick.  I'll take the 30 seconds next time and use rags like I usually so, lol

So a quick rap on the throttle is producing no more blubbering that I can hear.  I'll drive it around and see how I like it, but it just started pouring here.