News:

Main Menu

Nice walk

Started by Walt_M., October 08, 2016, 03:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt_M.

Had the bike down for the brakes and other issues. Put a digital voltmeter on it to replace the LEDs and made a better throttle stop and linkage. Took it for a ride and, ta-da, ran out of gas. I was less than 4 miles from the house, yes, I know, stupid. Anyway, I leaned it over to get all the fuel into the left side, got it started and made it 3 miles back. So I walked home, got a gallon of non-ethanol and walked back. Put the gas in and it fired right up and rode it home. Have to love the carbs and the electric pump. 
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Even the bad stuff is sounding good!  It's good to hear you can walk that far.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

Being able to walk is a plus. You never know when you will have to and it was not so long ago that I couldn't. As a side note, I had a GPS on the bike to see what speedometer error I had with the 90/90 front tire. I expected a big correction and it is spot on! How many speeding tickets should I have gotten with the 110/90? In all the years I have gotten only one and it wasn't even questionable,  88 in a 55.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

According to the owners manual 90/90 is the stock size so I guess the speedo is again accurate.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Walt_M.

The '83s came with 100/90 standard and,  if memory serves, a lot of the '82s had very optimistic speedometers. I had always thought mine was optimistic too, shows what I get for thinking.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

I forgot yours is an '83 model. That is odd that it took a smaller tire to make the speedo accurate. I tend to think they are all fairly accurate until tire wear and non-stock tire sizes are in play. Is it spot on at all speeds?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan