News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Need to aquire an '83 left peg mounting bracket, shift lever, and shift linkage.

Started by QBS, October 31, 2016, 01:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

My OEM items have gotten sloppy over the years and must be replaced.  I don't need the foot peg itself but do need the shift lever, foot peg mounting bracket and the linkage with both ball ends.  Hope to find low mileage items with very little slop, the less the better.

jefferson

There is a guy on the ZRX forum that rebuilds the linkage on the ZRX and makes them really nice. My ZRX is way sloppier than any bike I have owned. He may be able to do other brands. I will get ahold of him and see what he says.

QBS

Jefferson, thank you for the response.  Look forward to what you find out.  What did your rebuild cost? Thanks.

jefferson

I haven't had mine done yet, but it's long overdue. I can't believe how loose things are. It's on the list for this winter. Everyone says it is one of the best mods they have done and I think it runs about $100, but that is for the ZRX of which he does a lot. I did get ahold of him and he would like to see some pictures. If I can get his email could you take some pictures to send him?

The Prophet of Doom

You can get replacement ball ends.  I've not done the XZ, but have with other bikes.  Search for "Female Rod End Heim Joint M8"

QBS

POD, thanks for the input.  My slop is primarily between the shift lever and its' mounting stud.  The ball ends have a little play, but not much.  A good fix would be to slide a really thin wall bushing over the stud and then slide the lever over that.  Good luck finding a piece of tubing with the same I.D. as the O. D. of the stud.

jefferson

This guy rebushs the lever so it is nice and tight. That's where my ZRX is the worst/

jefferson

A machine shop should be able to rebush the lever if that is the main issue.

Kenny

I remember seeing a Vision somewhere in my travels that had the shift lever connected  directly to the shift shaft -would require a bit of fabrication but would get rid of the slop. Was that on Ron McCoy's bike at the 25th ?
   Cheers Ken S
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Ron_McCoy

That was my bike all right. You can shorten the shift lever and weld it to the splined piece that goes on the shift shaft. Center to center on the shift lever is 4 3/4 " more or less depending on the size of your foot. It has to be offset enough to clear the side stand mount. This will work with 83 foot pegs. The Vision shifts backward so turning the lever where it faces the peg gives a normal pattern and very positive shifting. Positioning the lever is critical since you lose the adjustability you have with the linkage.

QBS

Thank you Ron.  This project is still very much a work in progress.  My first run at shimming yielded frustration.  Your solution appears to be the ultimate fix.  I appreciate the center to center spacing.  The struggle continues.  Good to hear from you.

Ron_McCoy

You're welcome Bob. Always fun dealing with rare, 35 year old motorcycles. I ran that set up for years and it worked very well. After my "dog "accident I had to go back to the 82 pegs because my neck couldn't tolerate rearsets and low bars and ended up cutting the mounts for the rear sets off the frame. Necks doing better now so I'm back to 83 pegs. Best of luck to you.

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: QBS on November 06, 2016, 04:50:45 PM
POD, thanks for the input.  My slop is primarily between the shift lever and its' mounting stud.  The ball ends have a little play, but not much.  A good fix would be to slide a really thin wall bushing over the stud and then slide the lever over that.  Good luck finding a piece of tubing with the same I.D. as the O. D. of the stud.
I can't measure mine as it is no longer original.  Could something like this help?
https://www.mcmaster.com/#6679K16