Hello Again

Started by simcha, January 08, 2017, 04:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simcha

Hello all. Long time since I have visited the forum and I am pleased to see lots of new people and interest in the bike. Funny coming back after years away that the problems with carbs, starting etc are still the issues today and for example replacing carbs with a Weber or something similar is still discussed! Some of the guys that helped me before do not seem to be here now? What happened to Lucky and Tiger?

I have just uncovered my XZ from its 4 year sleep and I am in the process of re shimming the valves and cleaning the carbs. Everything going well and I am determined to finally get this particular XZ back on the road after all these years. Sharing its space in the garage now is a Moto Guzzi Monza and Moto Guzzi V65 and my new BMW S1000R (present to myself after serious illness). Despite this I am looking forward to finally getting the bike back where it belongs on the road.
Looking forward to getting involved with the Riders of Vision forum again.

Simon

fret not

Simon, it's good to see you here again.  This site has been very quiet for a couple weeks or so.  I think much of that is due to the busy time for many folks around the holidays, and that it is generally cold outside and not so good for riding for those of us in the northern hemisphere.

I can understand the drive to complete the XZ550 and make it fully functioning.  As for me it is the challenge to complete the project, but the project continues to change as improvements are considered.  I think I am mostly through the process of transplanting some 'new' carburetors, and updating the front brake system.  And still there is a long list of little things to attend to before putting fuel in the tank.  I feel it is a worthy project, and aim to do it well.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

Hello again Simon. Yes, Lucky and Tiger have moved on and visit only occasionally. Two of us have successfully installed Mikuni BDST carburetors from FZ600. I have found that it is cheaper to buy these than to buy rebuild kits for the stock carburetors. I also put an electric fuel pump on mine which greatly improved cold starting. Good luck with getting your's back on the road.
Whale oil beef hooked!