Main Menu

Nicky Hayden

Started by Ron_McCoy, May 22, 2017, 10:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron_McCoy

Nicky Hayden, AMA super bike champion and Moto GP champion has passed away from injuries suffered in a bicycle/car accident May 17th. The world mourns. Great guy.

fret not

Sad to see this happen.  I saw pics of the car he collided with, and it's difficult to imagine surviving that impact.  These bodies we have aren't immortal, and they become more fragile as they accumulate injuries and years.  They are not designed to survive such major trauma, though sometimes miraculous recoveries do happen. Sadly, not in this case.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

I've been out of the loop for the last several days so just heard this tragic news. I have fond memories of watching Nicky "backing it into the turns" in the early 600 Super Sport races. A tragic loss this.

This news was a bit more poignant in that I had an unfortunate event befall me Friday. I was near home after a ride with two of my brothers when an oncoming motorist made a left in front of me at an intersection. Badly mangled left wrist and my beloved '82 GPz 550 is no more. It only takes but an instant.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Ron_McCoy

Glad you survived with just a gimpy clutch side wrist. Left turn into you is one of the hardest accidents to deal with. Hang in there.

fret not

Sorry to hear that, but it can happen all too easily.  I lost a Montesa Impala 250 that way in '67.  I hobbled away, but Nicky, not so much.  Cars are hard, to be avoided if possible.  It's dangerous out there folks.  Be careful.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Rikugun on May 23, 2017, 11:58:23 AM
Badly mangled left wrist and my beloved '82 GPz 550 is no more. It only takes but an instant.
Very glad you aren't dead, and that it was not the XZ that was totaled

fiat-doctor

Very glad your injuries weren't any worse.  Hope your recovery goes well. 

Steve

Rikugun

Thanks for the kind words guys. I just found out yesterday I'll be in need of surgery. The way the injury looked I'm not surprised. Looks like I'll be getting more hardware put in me this Wednesday.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

Rikugun 2.0  The Terminator