News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Shock on ebay

Started by artbone, June 29, 2017, 11:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artbone

I was looking at ebay today and noticed a shock that didn't look like the other shocks. I went through the pictures and saw it had a Progressive Performance decal on it. It is adjustable for height and there are several other differences from the stock shock. They had a "buy it now" price of $60 and I made an offer of $50 and they came back with $55 but they wouldn't pay the shipping so I said, "Screw it" and just paid $60 and they paid the shipping. Those things are like $1000 new. I've got a friend who can rebuild it for me or at least change the oil and recharge the nitrogen bladder and it should be good as new.
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

artbone

I was mistaken. It's a Works Performance shock.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

fret not

I think the WP is the better shock.  Isn't WP part of the KTM family?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

artbone

I don't know who (if anybody) owns them but I called about a shocks for another bike several years ago and happened to mention that I had two Visions and whomever I was talking to really picked up on that and we talked Visions for fifteen minutes.

I was wrong about the price also. Their most expensive shock is less than $500 but still for $60 I'm happy. The shock on my 82 is so bad that I machined a metal ring about 3/4 inch thick and put it under the spring to give it a little more preload.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

admin

Quote from: artbone on June 29, 2017, 11:37:17 PM
I was mistaken. It's a Works Performance shock.
nice find !  was it listed as a vision shock or something else  ?

artbone

It was listed as a Vision shock but not a Works shock. They probably were parting out the bike and didn't know or care what it was. I tried the best offer deal and got nowhere. I offered $50, they came back with $55 but I paid the shipping so I gave up and just bought the thing.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

Walt_M.

Excellent find and well bought.
Whale oil beef hooked!

The Prophet of Doom

I have a permanent search on Ebay for xz shocks in the vain hope of picking up a deal like this.  WP are very nice shocks.  All the major brands have XZ on their application lists but they are all $400+.  A weeks wages by the time it's landed here and all the freight and duties paid.

Alas, I missed seeing this one else your $50 offer would have eaten my dust.

artbone

I wish I had been on the ROV website before I went to NZ in Jan. I would have got in touch and we could have at least met for a drink. Carol and I spent a the last week of Dec in Australia then met 2 other couples in Auckland and toured all the way down to Invercargill. I was riding a Tiger 800 and the others were riding BMTroubleyous. We ended the tour in Christchurch which looks like it's near you. You live in a beautiful place but I hate the speed cameras. I got popped twice.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

The Prophet of Doom

A pity, you would have been most welcome.  Iain and I are both very close to Christchurch.  Did you drive past Burt Munro's house in Invercargill?

artbone

We didn't drive by the house but we went to Hayes hardware store where they have a lot of his stuff and a lot of other interesting stuff and some really interesting hardware. I chatted with one of the owners and he was very nice and had some interesting stories. We also went to the new Moto Mecca museum. It's a fabulous place. I think there were six Broughs, ten or twelve Vincents, just a great collection; probably the best small collection I've ever seen. Oh, and of course they had a Britten on loan plus one of Britten's early bikes. One of the guys with me collects Vincents so he was in heaven.

I went to the NZ Norton Owners Club rally in Dunedin. I know the president of the club, He comes to our rally in the US almost every year. It's a small rally but a very nice group of people and they made Carol and me feel very welcome.

You live in a beautiful place. One of my favorite places in the world. I can see coming over to visit every two or three years. I'll get in touch next time.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: artbone on July 05, 2017, 08:03:57 AM
We also went to the new Moto Mecca museum. It's a fabulous place. I think there were six Broughs, ten or twelve Vincents, just a great collection; probably the best small collection I've ever seen. Oh, and of course they had a Britten on loan plus one of Britten's early bikes. One of the guys with me collects Vincents so he was in heaven.
That's the museum I thought would be a good place for Re-Vision's museum quality rebuild project for the XZ.  Unfortunately we don't see Bobby any more, and XZs are so rare here these days I don't think that will ever happen.

Quote from: artbone on July 05, 2017, 08:03:57 AM
You live in a beautiful place. One of my favorite places in the world. I can see coming over to visit every two or three years. I'll get in touch next time.
Please do.  Visionaries are always most welcome here.  If you are staying for a couple of weeks or more it's probably cheaper to ship your XZ over than to rent a bike here - and sure would be a lot more fun.

artbone

Please do.  Visionaries are always most welcome here.  If you are staying for a couple of weeks or more it's probably cheaper to ship your XZ over than to rent a bike here - and sure would be a lot more fun.
[/quote]

If I was staying for 6 months or more, maybe, but I doubt it would be cheaper for a month long stay, which is about the most I want to be away from home. Several years ago it cost over $2000 to ship the IOM XZ from the IOM to Atlanta GA; a much shorter trip than from Mexico to NZ and then it has to come back. I've tried all sorts of iterations of world wide motorcycle travel and, from my experience, you're much better off renting than trying to bring your own bike. Rental bikes are insured, if you have problems they bring you a new one, and if you crash it you don't have to ship a totaled bike back home.  ;D Maybe you're like to rent me your XZ for a month.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

The Prophet of Doom