News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

2001 Kawasaki Concours 1000

Started by George R. Young, July 26, 2017, 10:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George R. Young

This is the touring replacement for my XZ550 since 2003. Like the Vision, it has shaft drive. Unlike the Vision, it has an excited field alternator running coolly outside the engine.

Rikugun

Nice! I've heard good things about the Connie. Any plans for a rack and top box?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

George R. Young

The Concours has a little stock rack under the rear tail cover.

I shy away from rear top boxes. The weight behind the rear axle and the extra air pressure both conspire to lighten the front wheel, which I like to remain firmly planted.

With the saddlebags, a magnetic tank bag and the tent/mattress roll on the rear seat, there's enough capacity already.

turbosteve84

One of the all-time great bargains in motorcycling. Bulletproof Ninja engine and a great balance between sport and touring. As I recall, when you bought this bike new you got your name engraved on the side panels.

Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

George R. Young

Well, my motorcycle interests have changed, away from long distance riding, more towards sunny afternoon jaunts. I've sold the Concours and replaced it with a 2003 Suzuki SV650S. So, I'm back in the V-Twin fold again.

fret not

Suzuki SV is a great motor.  I had an '02 naked for a while.  My problem with the bike was mostly with the seat.  Not bad for short jaunts or furious 'canyon carving' but not good for just sitting there for miles.  I think the choice of foam padding is a problem.  My friend's Vstrom has much the same problem, though with a different shaped seat. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!