News:

Main Menu

New XZ550 Page on FaceBook

Started by artbone, September 21, 2017, 03:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artbone

I've joined an XZ550 group in FB and I posted a note about ROV and a couple of people said they had tried to join the forum but were not successful. Is there an email address someone can write to if they have problems navigating through the sign up procedure?
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

Rikugun

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

If you mean they are having trouble joining this Forum - RidersOfVision.Net - then the owner and admin is Ron Ghetti (computerhelp@ghetti.net)   He doesn't always reply.

ArrrGeee

Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on September 22, 2017, 08:34:34 AM
If you mean they are having trouble joining this Forum - RidersOfVision.Net - then the owner and admin is Ron Ghetti (computerhelp@ghetti.net)   He doesn't always reply.
lol,  :laugh: thanks buddy, I do what I can.  the phony accounts get to be a pain so I don't monitor the site constantly.
if I could block the russian hackers, that would be a start...

peace.

The Prophet of Doom

No offence meant Ron, you keeping the site up is a great thing.  Just setting expectations  :)

The Prophet of Doom

Seems that Facebook group is busier than ever, but the RoV forums are like a ghosttown.  What's the story? Why doesn't anyone like it here any more?

Rikugun

That Facebook page has been the new ROV for some time now.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

fret not

We have technical articles and discussions for reference here, a point I regard as a treasure. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

jefferson

I personally don't like the Facebook format. I'm not on Facebook, but my wife is. I don't know the in's and out's of it, but it seems to be the thing now. I much prefer what we have here, except for the echos.

The Prophet of Doom

Yes I far prefer here over FB for many reasons.  Notably the great searchable history,  massive experience and great people.  Half the comments on FB are by people who have never straddled an XZ let alone swung a wrench on one. and posts vanish after a short while.  Even Ron Ghetti posts on FB and doesn't post here so perhaps it's a loosing battle.

Perhaps if people posted a bit more here it would be better.

fret not

POD is right of course.   More posting with good and interesting information is welcome.  In that regard, I intend to eventually write up my trip through the carburetor transplant process I'm currently going through.  Maybe also the fork transplant with making the triple clamps as Ron McCoy did.  Hopefully someone else will beat me to it and show THEIR way that they got it done.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

As noted by others above, this site is a wealth of searchable repair data. I wonder how many of the FB users use this site to search for answers without "checking in" but use the FB page for socializing.

Blake

My old college car club has gone (and is going) through the same issues as here with the forum vs Facebook.  Over a decade ago we all documented all our car builds with tons of photos, write ups, etc.  But now with Facebook is seems anything older than a few days gets lost. Our forum has maybe 10 active guys on it who just refuse to let it die.

I'm still waiting to finish my long-running project of EFI converting, front end swap, and a ton of other mods for my Vision.   All of the parts are still in storage bins, but with the past 2 moves I'm still without a garage.  The house I just moved into a few weeks ago has an unfinished basement that I'm tempted to use to start rebuilding the bike this fall... But we'll see how that goes.   It's really frustrating to go from a fully stocked garage to no garage and have all your projects put on hold. Thanks But at least my commute went from 1.5 hours each way to 10 minutes... So I guess it's not too bad.  I remember joining this forum in 1999 when I was 15 and just got my first vision that I still have!   This has been an incredibly knowledgeable and helpful place.  We definitely shouldn't let it be forgotten by a fad of Facebook.
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Walt_M.

Well, if no one wants to hear from me, stay on facebook. I have no use for facebook.
Whale oil beef hooked!

jefferson

I'll always be here unless here isn't anywhere.

QBS

Rikugun

Me too. Not the hash-browns me too, just the regular me too used in what is now the formerly conventional way.

artbone

FB should be just to whet new Vision owner's appetite so they'll go to ROV to get some real advice; not some idle remarks from someone who's never seen a Vision. I have the same thing with my club in Mexico, Motoclasico de San Miguel de Allende. I have a FB page as a free advertisement but anyone that wants to join has to request a membership through yahoo groups. It seems yahoo is trying to phase out groups now so I'll have to devise a new strategy.

As much as we hate it, everything changes.

Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650