News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

MotoGp 2018

Started by Walt_M., January 29, 2018, 04:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt_M.

The old post was getting too long. First day of testing at Sepang and everyone just loves their new bike, surprise!
Whale oil beef hooked!

Ron_McCoy

Second day, ViƱales and Rossi first and second fastest

fret not

Well, that looks good for Yamaha.  But wait!  There will be more to come.  Jorge Lorenzo is still trying to master the new Ducati, and maybe the factory has found a way to get them to turn better and hold corner speed.  I guess everyone has found how to use the Magnetti Marelli spec electronics.  That still seems a blurry area, but progress has been made and those guys are going very fast. 

I think the tires are the weak link in the equation.  Lots of horsepower, and that wears on the tires.  Maybe if they were limited to a bit less fuel . . . . oh yeah, they already tried that. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

Jorge said the Ducati is much more to his liking, improved in every way.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Well, they will lineup on March 18, and we will see what shakes out.  So far it sounds like things will be competitive between the teams.  Ducati has made significant progress, as well as KTM and Apprillia.  Yamaha has done some 'homework' and Honda will be there too.  So it looks like no significant domination by one machine, yet.

Walt_M.

First race of the season is in the books and it seems like 2017 2.0. I won't reveal the results but it was a good race.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Much improved motors for Honda and Suzuki.  Comments by some of the riders say they are now able to accelerate with the Ducatis!  More manageable power characteristics mean a LOT when considering lap times.  Back in the 70s when Yoshimura was a factor in US road racing I recall reading a short article about the various stages of race tune they offered.  Stage 1 was basically a finely tuned street stock, stage 2 was cams and exhaust, stage 3 was a deeper dig into the motor and stage 4 was the "ultimate" race tune and produced the most power.  The odd thing was the stage 4 was not the fastest around the track because it was too difficult to manage.  This is much of what Honda has experienced over the past couple years with the factory providing an engine with MORE power but it was not as usable as the previous issue motor. 

I have ridden bikes with that extreme state of tune and can say from my experience they will wear you out quickly.  They can go fast but it is sooo much work to keep them on line and on the track.  Very difficult to keep that up for the 40 odd minutes that a race takes.  Because of this I look to see the Suzuki team to do fairly well compared to where it has been. 

I suspect that Jorge Lorenzo could win the championship if he were on the Suzuki because it would suit his smooth style and it has more power this season.  More money at Ducati, and I suspect Vinales went to Yamaha for the same reason.  What would be more important for one season; winning the championship, or getting paid more now? 

Oh, this is delicious, savoring the possibilities and watching the 'ground shift' as technical developments evolve and players change seats. :)

Walt_M.

Wet qualifying in Argentina. Jack Miller is on pole, quick learner on the Ducati,  Pedrosa seemed to have figured how to get his tires to work in the wet and got second with Zarco third. Rins is fourth, Marquez (I think) Espargaro on the Aprilla,  Dovizioso, Vinales, Crutchlow and Rossi. Lorenzo didn't make it to Q2 and is starting 14th. Don't know what the forecast is but it could be another good race.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

Well,  that was just a goat rodeo. Marquez once again proved his immense talent is backed by immense arrogance. He got 3 penalties in one race. He turned what could have been a 30+ second win into a possible fifth then a penalty 18th.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

From what I have read there will likely be some "discussion" about this race in the week to come.  I'll get some popcorn and settle in.

Walt_M.

Marquez runaway at COTA. Yawner.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

The factory team Yamahas seem to be struggling.  The competition in general seems much closer than in years past, as the qualifying times show.  With the hot weather we will see who can manage to finish with functional tires.  It all gets sorted out tomorrow. 

Walt_M.

Jerez was also a bit of a yawner except for lap 18 when Lorenzo went bowling. The factory Yamahas still have problems,  Zarco beat them both easily. He will be on KTM next year.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

It seems that the drama never ceases.  More speculation of Jorge Lorenzo moving to the Suzuki team, and the 'musical chairs' goes on.  Will Honda drop Dani Pedrosa?  Tune in next week to find out what new gossip is going around. 8)

fret not

MOTO GP Le Mans, France.  Another win for Marquez.  Jorge Lorenzo led the race the first few laps but couldn't hold on to the lead as several riders got by him.  Jack Miller got 4th.  Pretty good result as he shows his stuff.

Walt_M.

Seeing Dovizioso and Zarco crashing out was sad, almost forgot Iannone crashed too.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Ron_McCoy

Lots of crashes over the weekend, 81 before the races started. 19 for moto3, 39 for Moto 2, and 23 for Moto gp. Also first eight in Moto gp qualifying were under the old lap record.

Walt_M.

Marquez credited his last crash for helping him win. He said it showed him what he couldn't do.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

It's all about finding the limits, and not exceeding them too much.  An up close examination of the physics involved would be fascinating.

fret not

So they are going to line up this Sunday in Mugello, Italy, and there are several possible winners as the performance of the machines is much closer than in past years.  Valentino Rossi has the pole and will share the front row with Lorenzo and Vinales, while Marquez is on the 2nd row with Ianone (Suzuki) and Petrucci (Ducati).It looks to me like it will be a crowded pack chasing the checkered flag.  Also, the results may well determine more than one rider's future.  It seems there are more riders than seats available for next season, so there may be some movement to SuperBike or retirement.  It is rumored that Jonathan Rea is interested in moving to MotoGP.  The plot thickens as the clock ticks off the minutes and days.