News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Making triple cflamps

Started by fret not, April 14, 2018, 02:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fret not

My brother in law is also busy with preparing some old Lotus racing cars with a friend, so his time available for my project is sketchy.  This is good because my project is one of those long term "journeys", as the triple clamps are only one aspect, along with the carb transplant, brakes, fairing mods, etc.  It's a good thing that I don't have to work for a living anymore because I am too busy now.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Dean

I stumbled on the photos at the following web site and thought there may be interest...
http://www.eurospares.com/newadd.htm

You do not need a therapist if you own a motorcycle, any kind of motorcycle! Dan Aykroyd

fret not

Very good post!  That might even weigh less than the solid aluminum pieces I am working with. 

injuhneer

Just toss those designs into a FEA simulation and take a look.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

fret not

FEA simulation?  I think I don't have one of those.

injuhneer

https://www.downloadcloud.com/finite-element-analysis-software.html

There are a couple listed that look interesting. I have been using Autodesk stuff.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

fret not

I just got word that my blocks of aluminum have all the holes now, so I get to saw out the shapes and manage the pinch bolts.  Still a way off from being all done but progress for sure.  Recently (past 2 months) I have been physically busy helping my brother clear a couple acres just below his house.  His homeowner's insurance had been cancelled, so we cleared away the brush and trees and now his insurance is reinstated.  Now it's my turn to get my insurance renewed, so I have been cutting weeds, brush, and trees near my house.  There will be no shortage of firewood this winter in this area.  It is taking a toll on my body as I have lost about 22 lbs. ( 10 kg.) in the process.  I do sleep pretty well though.  Once I have my insurance renewed I can spend a bit more time in the shop, but there are a couple instruments that need to be completed (mandolin and guitar) before I get to work on the XZ. 

All the rush because of the fire season has been a good diversion for me, both physically and mentally, as my wife passed away from lung cancer the last day of May.  We did the in-home hospice and I was the primary caretaker, but could not have managed without the help of her two sisters and the folks from Hospice of the Foothills in Grass Valley.  The headstone is finally set in the Auburn cemetery, so til death do us part.  I guess we have parted now.  Sort of.  47 great years together and we never had a fight.  Oh, she would yell at me occasionally for some of my driving, but never in malice.  She was the adult in the room, usually.  Half a pack a day for 50 years.  About 35 years ago we made a deal; I would quit smoking marijuana and she would quit smoking cigarettes.  I held up my end of the deal but she didn't actually quit until she was diagnosed with lung cancer 5 years ago.  Now I have a vaporizer for my herb.  It helps with stress for sure, and I sleep well.  I think John Lennon was right when he said "while you are making other plans Life happens".

jefferson

Sorry to hear about your wife. May she rest in peace. Keep yourself busy which it sounds like you have been doing. Smoking took my father away way too early. I abhor those things. It's a very hard habit to break and now I am hounding my 2 sons about it. They smoke very little, but any amount is bad.

Keep busy with the Vision and we will watch your progress.

Take care.

fret not

Thank you.
It's the burnt and partially burned stuff that is the most dangerous, which is why I got a vaporizer and set it on a fairly low temperature so there is no combustion or charring.  I never took up on smoking tobacco but many years ago did burn up a lot of joints.  That also can be hard on your throat and lungs.

injuhneer

My belated but sincere condolences sir.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

fret not

Thank you.  I believe you are a good influence on this group as you have the background (wow, a real engineer!) for making reasoned mechanical judgements, not just 'shooting from the lip'.  I applaud your presence in the group and hope you will continue to be a frequent contributor with ideas and perspective.

I have a nice little Cannon digital camera, but haven't found where my wife put the stuff for it.  I need to find the charger for the battery before I can use the camera.  Otherwise I am slightly limited with a Toshiba 3.2Mpx older camera, neither of which do I have the owner's manual for, yet.  Gotta be around here somewhere.  Once I get the camera thing sorted out I will again try to put some pics up to show the various states of progress and completion of the parts.

fret not

Well, there has been some water gone under the bridge since I last posted on this.  Bit by bit I have found some time to resume work on my front fork transplant.  Chip and whittle, but it IS making progress.  I am now to the point of setting the positions for the steering stops, which is near the end of the list of steps to accomplish before installing all the parts!  I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and feelings are stirring.  This is the time to measure twice and cut once.  No short-cuts now, as the project moves closer to actually being put on the road. 
As close as it seems to completion there is yet a list of things to check off before I can declare "Victory".  I'm debating whether to strip and paint the frame before making sure everything works, and leaning toward leaving it with the old original paint at this time.  This is to be a 'daily rider', not a custom showpiece.  If it looks good, then so much the better, but my main concern is that it be a good and functional motorcycle.  I feel this is another moment like when Dorothy finally gets a glimpse of "the Emerald City" across the poppy field; so close, yet still a ways to go.

fret not

The steering stem and stops are now installed in the lower triple clamp.  Maybe some time in the future I will do more machining to remove some weight, but for now it just needs to be properly functional.  It is time to begin checking off the list of all the 'little' things that need to be done.  I hope to be riding this in mid October for our annual Geezer Ride, but not before everything is checked off the 'to do' list. 

Has anyone made or used a different coolant recovery tank?  I am hoping someone has an idea, as I would like to put the external reservoir for the shock absorber where the present tank is.  Also, the old tank it the original and likely somewhat degraded.  I had to replace the tank on my '03 Toyota as it had become brittle, and they are made of much the same material (polyethylene).

briandneville

Her's a pic off the facebook site, does by a mod in Poland I think. No idea what it is or where the parts came from but it looks very professional.
How did it come to this?

fret not

The Prophet of Doom

That's a good looking radiator - if anyone knows where to source those bottles then please let me know
The oil filler cap is rather tasty also

fret not

I installed the lower bearing on the stem only to find that a spacer is needed under it, as the bottom of the steering head rubs on the upper surface of the lower triple clamp.   Removing the bearing without destroying it, or marking up the new triple clamp is a chore.  The process is moving along, and I think there is some light ahead.

fret not

Been 'wrestling' trees and brush again, and splitting up the 'rounds' to dry for firewood this winter.  I have more than will fit into the wood shed, so will cover it with a tarp when rain threatens.  Sort of caught up with things so I got some more time in the shop.  Now the new forks are on the bike, with front wheel in place.  Next step is to find new seals for the Sumitomo 4 piston caliper that came with the forks. (FJ1000 '89 - '90)
A friend with significant skills has made some fuel line fittings for the 'new' carbs, so that end is getting closer.  It will be interesting to find out the condition of the motor, as I have never had this one running.  The bike had about 8K miles on the odometer, and a rusty tank, so I am hoping the internals of the motor are functional.  I have 2 other motors plus one that was disassembled for modification for racing.  So I have enough to make it go, but it might take some elbow grease and time.  I'm hoping this motor is good, as I would rather not have to go inside.  It is what it is, and I will go from there.  It is getting close enough to think bout buying a battery!

Ron_McCoy

Good to hear you're making progress Mike.

fret not

Ron,you have been a big inspiration and huge help.  Thank you.