Just picked up that Venture 1200 V4 motor

Started by DoubleVision, July 04, 2003, 09:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleVision

Remember a while back I was thinking of sticking this motor in a Vision. Well went to bone yard got motor pretty complete with coils and carbs for 50 bucks. Just now have to see if shes alive or dead. Then how to stuff it in Vision! Peace
Frank

Rick G

Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

QBS

Did your new engine come complete with drive shaft and ring and pinion assembly?  Cheers!

DoubleVision

Thanks Rick but I sence  your 100% sarcasm there. LOL Remember if there is a will there is a way. Plus me being a machinist and faber doen't hurt either.QBS the only thing i found missing so far last night was the starter. There is no driveshaft on the motor just the universal joint that looks just like the vision one. Hopefully i can just make bike bit wider but from side you would not really be able to tell. Peace
Frank

sdinino

If you get it going I'd love to see pics... although I don't think you could pay me to actually ride the thing!  ;D

Good luck, keep us posted.
-- Steve D

QBS

There is no guarentee that the V drive shaft and housing will bolt right on the Max output flange and drive shaft yoke.  Hopefully they will.  We'll see.  That's why I inquired regarding the rest of the Max power train.  However, I feel confident the V ring and pinion assembly will handle the Max power, if for no other reason than the skinney back tire would break loose before the assembly was damaged.  Cheers.

DoubleVision

Right now i'm still having hard time finding HP #'s for this motor. I think i read somewhere that this motor is rated at 80HP like 2/3 of V-max power #'s. But i figure a full flowing intake and min/maxed exhaust would boost HP #'s.Still haven't did tests on motor yet. This thing is heavy though. Peace
Frank

jasonm.

I have a Venture. The 1200's were rated at 90hp. and the 1300's were 97hp. These are rear wheel #'s. Mine makes 93hp at the rear. The drive shaft from the Vision will slide right in. The universal part #'s are the same. BUT the 1200's were known to loose 2nd gear. Don't be surprised if 2nd gear is shot. A simple thrush washer was the cause. Hope you have the ignitor too. Good Luck......
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

DoubleVision

Thanks Jason. I'm looking now for parts that will be needed to make her run. I read about that 2nd gear problem on high mileage motors too.I have all the electrical stuff thats attached to the coil board. 4 coils and and i think 2 black boxes. Peace
Frank

Silver_Bullet

You'll probably have an easier time making the Venture/Vision combo work than the "chain drive" conversion going on elsewhere!  Modifying the lower frame tubes or adding a lower frame cradle should stiffen the frame enough to handle the extra power.  The smallish rear tire will definately be the limiting factor, might need "D" load range tires to handle the extra weight!  Best of luck.
Mark
If you have to ask why we do this, you wouldn't understand.

jasonm.

If you need any Venture info. Let me know. There is not much I don't know about these. I have had one for 15 years...with many MODs.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules