News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

MotoGP 2019

Started by fret not, February 04, 2019, 12:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fret not

The first testing session of the new season has just concluded, and things are looking up a bit for KTM and Aprillia as they are getting very close to the sharp end of the pack.

First race of the new season is in about a month.  Lots of healing and recovery going on as everyone is trying to be as well conditioned as possible, both mentally and physically.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

Well, they now have competitive riders. Will the bikes measure up?
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

It looks like there will be heavy traffic near the sharp end.  At least that's the way I see the season shaping up.  Suzuki's motor is really good, but so are the Ducati and Honda this season, plus Yamaha has also made improvement with their motor.  This makes for very close (exciting) competition on the track.  If all goes well it should be a thoroughly entertaining season with a few surprises along the way.

fret not

Two weeks from now there will be some buzzing from the first MotoGP race of the new season as it all gets under way.  All reports I see say it looks like a very interesting year coming.

Walt_M.

The first race is in the books. Thankfully it was not the predicted crash fest. I won't play spoiler for those who might be watching on delay but it was a good race.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Read all about it on motomatters.com.  Usually a couple days after the initial reporting of the race results there appears a more in depth assessment of the race and the dynamics within the pits.

Walt_M.

Since my cable company dropped beIn I just follow on MotoGp so I know a little about the race and finishing order. Nothing like watching it live though. My favorite scene was last year,  I think, from Lorenzo's rear camera when he slowed and Rossi hit him! Great shot.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

Race two is in the books,  glad I didn't waste money on the season pass. This could be a yawner unless Marquez develops narcolepsy.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Well, if you only look at who won the race I can see your point Walt, but there was quite a bit of activity sorting out the order for the podium and even farther back.  Some races in the 60s and 70s were often won by a large lead.  Agostini, Hailwood, Read, Roberts, etc. and racing was quite popular with the spectators.

I get sucked in by the technology, and realizing just how fast the bikes are going, how far over they can lean and still have control, how hard the tires are worked and still finish a race.  And now the aerodynamic "war" is beginning to escalate.  Racing is a violent activity, it may not look that way from the side lines but from the 'pilot's' seat it is full on battle. 

Walt_M.

Wait until COTA. Marquez has owned the place. If he wins like he did in Argentina,  turn out the lights, the party's over.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

I agree Marquez will probably win at Austin, but anything can happen, ya know.  I see his shoulder is working pretty well now.  I hope Lorenzo can find the handle for the RC213V pretty soon.

In the World Super Bike (WSBK) series Ducati is going very well so far, at least for Alvaro Bautista.  Chaz Davies is a bit disappointing so far.  I thought he would take it to Jonathan Rea with the new Panigale v4, but so far Mr. Davies can't keep up with Mr. Rea or Mr. Bautista. 

fret not

The US round of MotoGP will happen this Sunday at the Austin TX Circuit Of The Americas (COTA).  I wonder how many stories this race will generate. 8)

Walt_M.

Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Yeah, a lot of "anything can happen" did!  Marquez crashed out, so did Crutchlow, and Lorenzo had a mechanical problem that put him out.  And surprise surprise, Rins on the Suzuki won the race!  All in all it was a disappointing race for Honda.

fret not

Race in Jerez, Spain, this weekend.  The reports say Lorenzo has found something to make the Honda work for him, and is turning quick laps in practice. We may yet see this season whether Lorenzo or Marquez is the better rider.  I will be watching from a distance.

Walt_M.

Jerez qualifying is over and the Petronas satellite Yamahas are 1-2! Marquez,  Divizioso and Vinales. Why can't the Yamaha factory team figure this track out? Rossi couldn't get out of Q1 and will start 13th.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

So, Marquez wins this one and Alex Rins on the Suzuki is now just one point behind Marquez in the Championship title chase.  Looks like Lorenzo has not yet found how to manage the Honda.  He has had moments of brilliance but not much for results.  I would hope he gets on top of the situation soon.

Walt_M.

Another race is in the books and the suspense is in who will be second.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

Exciting race in Italy, unless you are a Yamaha fan.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

I cheer for all of them. ;)