News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

#7 joins the fleet

Started by The Prophet of Doom, March 27, 2019, 01:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

It's not like the genuine YAMAHA ones were that great.

This stuff is used for coffee cup logos, so it's rugged enough to stand up to warm soapy water.  Acetone dissolves it in an instant, and you can scratch it with a fingernail, though they say it hardens over time.
A coat of clear would improve ruggedness I'm sure, but I haven't.  I can always re-do them if I need to.

The Prophet of Doom

In the past I've raised the engine up to a rolling frame.  It's really difficult (especially singlehandedly) and can lead to a scratched frame.

This time I took a different approach...
With the engine flat on the workbench I just lowered the frame into place and bolted it up. 
Rocking it backwards slightly and I could bolt on the front wheel and clamp it to the bench.  Got two neighbours to lift the rear while I dropped the stand down.

Too easy!

MikeScoot

I know it might sound like a bit of a dumb question (it's close to bed time), but do you mean you lowered the frame onto the engine and it slipped in?
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: MikeScoot on June 09, 2020, 07:16:03 AM
I know it might sound like a bit of a dumb question (it's close to bed time), but do you mean you lowered the frame onto the engine and it slipped in?
Yes, that's it exactly.

MikeScoot

That is an invaluably useful piece of info!!! Thanks very much!

The Prophet of Doom

Worked on my starter motor today.  It was really sluggish. A common problem.

There wasn't much that was wrong with it.    The reason it wasn't going was a thick layer of sticky engine oil gunge on the commutator - and pretty much everywhere else.  A good clean and paint and it's back in service (with a new $2 seal obviously.  It's a 20x35x7mm twin lip rotary oil seal if you are looking).

I baked the hi-heat paint at 200C for 30 mins which does not appear to harm the magnet epoxy. 

From start to finish about 3 hours labour and it goes and looks like a new one.

MikeScoot

Excellent! Thanks for the info. Mine works well but is possibly the worst looking part of the bike because of stone-chipped surfaces.
Do the headers or left engine case have to come off to remove it? Oil drain?
Cheers,
Mike

The Prophet of Doom

It's below oil level which is why they fill full of oil when the seal fails.  Sidecovers stay in place.
Very easy, drain the oil, undo the cable and two other bolts and jiggle it to the left.

Procedure is in Haynes

The Prophet of Doom

I spent all flipping day looking for a clutch perch.  I ended up dumping out all my spares boxes onto the driveway, and sorted then into categories to match the fiche. 
The next thing I'm looking for shouldn't be so hard, and if it's sorted and labelled then it's not a hoarding disorder.

Found a clutch perch.  It was in the last box I sorted (of course)

MikeScoot

lolololol That driveway looks big enough to use as a superhighway - or a Yamaha spare parts distribution centre.
I'm guessing that you've driven all the neighbours out of town and that's why you can call the highway your driveway.
Good work on all the organising.

Also, I never knew that the correct name for a clutch lever mount was a perch. Shows you how much I know about fishing!

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: MikeScoot on July 13, 2020, 03:28:30 AM
Also, I never knew that the correct name for a clutch lever mount was a perch. Shows you how much I know about fishing!
You made me second guess myself, but I googled it and yes, a perch is the correct term.

injuhneer

Quote from: fret not on March 10, 2020, 02:19:11 AM
If I decide to strip and 'coat' my cases I think I will just sand blast them and let that be good.  It gives a rather stark appearance of some racing machines that do not spend time on things that don't make it go faster.  It is good to have a 'clean' appearance.

Go with soda blasting. Same clean. Less roughing and material loss.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

NAPIER

Hi guys
Will be joining you all shortly as i am stripping my XZ at the moment. Hell trying to remove the rear swing arm as all was rusted. Making all bolts etc out of Stainless. will try and sen pics as I go along.

Cheers
Mark
Yamaha Dt 125
Yamaha Dt 175
Yamaha Dt 250
Yamaha Dt 360
Yamaha Dt400
Yamaha XS 1100
Yamaha Ycs2e
Yamaha Bws
Yamaha RD350 x 3
Yamaha XZ550
Honda CB900F
Nimbus ModelC
Ktm 990

The Prophet of Doom

Gorgeous day today.  Plus degrees for the first time in ages, and felt like the first day of spring. 

Powdered the clutch perch I found last weekend, plus brake and clutch levers as they didn't quite match the black I'm using.  This is my second clutch lever as Wemoto had sent me one that was similar, but not correct.  To long ago and too expensive to return it :-( It pays to check your parts carefully as soon as they arrive !!!  This it the third wrong part I've had sent for this bike.

Also did my shock spring and got the swingarm fitted with new bearings from Yambits.  Although the bike is meant to be dead stock I couldn't resist a nice bright red.

MikeScoot

Shock looks great. Is it a stocko?

Also wondering whether you lettered the cluster and, if so, how?

Cheers

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: MikeScoot on July 26, 2020, 03:36:50 AM
Shock looks great. Is it a stocko?
Yes, a stock 82 16R (so no damping adjustment).  It tested good when I took the spring off.  As long as the oil is still on the inside they are not as bad as people make out.  Not great, but I've ridden on a lot worse.

Quote from: MikeScoot on July 26, 2020, 03:36:50 AMAlso wondering whether you lettered the cluster and, if so, how?

Yes, I did the lettering.  Buttons were just filled with paint and wiped with a gloved finger.  The rest were done with waterslides.
If you look up this thread to Reply #57 you'll find about this, and even a PDF with all the lettering done for you.   

MikeScoot

Thanks for the info. I'm not at all familiar with the process but will research it. Is the whole show clearcoated afterwards, for protection?
Cheers.

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: MikeScoot on July 27, 2020, 04:41:34 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm not at all familiar with the process but will research it. Is the whole show clearcoated afterwards, for protection?
Cheers.

I didn't.  It's dishwasher safe, but acetone will dissolve it in a second, and I figured paint solvents probably would as well.  Perhaps clear powder coat would work.

MikeScoot

Thanks again. Looks very good. :-) You're worth more money!

The Prophet of Doom

I was looking at the shock pic and realised the spring is in upside down!!!. 

I wonder what difference it would make.  If any.  It was a pig of a thing to get the spring in without scratching it.