#7 joins the fleet

Started by The Prophet of Doom, March 27, 2019, 01:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

A decidedly spring-like 18 degrees today. Instead of enjoying the sun I spent it stripping carbs. 
The main and idle jets and the emulsion tubes all had partial blockages and the float valves were a bit sticky with something mysteriously yellow.  No imaginary casting sand though.

Fitted 120.0/120.0 pilot air jets, new o-rings, hoses and filters.

Squeaky clean

You'll notice the absence of a heatshield still.  Bought one off DaveXZ and it's been delivered to someone else by NZ Post.  So if anyone has a spare, let me know.

The Prophet of Doom

I don't know if it will make a difference, but I re-fitted the shock spring in the correct way.  I think it looks better upside down.

The Prophet of Doom

Another gorgeous spring day.
I was "working from home" today so I rebuilt my petcock, fitted a freshly sealed YICS, assembled and fitted rear footpegs.
I also counted the number of parts on an XZ550.  I get  1241 give or take a few.

Walt_M.

Whale oil beef hooked!

MikeScoot

lolol

Great to know there are 1241 parts! Now I know not to go mowing or sweeping till I round a few bits up.

'Working from home' is great, eh. My daughter is 'working from home' in the kitchen tonight. She's working on a cake construction project. I'm hoping that when it's passed the oven completion phase and then equalised a tad with ambient 'working from homeplace' temperature, she'll logistically relocate a specific minor quantity to the workstation in my 'place of residence' office from which I solely operate (when I'm 'working from home').

Cheers mate.
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Walt_M. on August 26, 2020, 07:01:29 AM
Are you back in lockdown?
No, part of the country is, but I just 'work from home' on Wednesdays to allow concentrated focus on my bigger projects.
You can see how well that's working.

MikeScoot

I'd reckon it will be considerably better than a new one! A lot of it already is!

The Prophet of Doom

Here is the exhaust that came the bike. 
Yes that's galv sheet metal screwed and riveted to hide the rust holes.  That and an entire pottle of gasket goop.

fret not

Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

MikeScoot

lolol yaeh, a bit rough. Still, not as rough as the two systems I took to the scrappie last weekend. They were shockers! lolol
EDIT;
Oops, I take that all back! I just zoomed-in on your pics. Woefull! lolololol

The Prophet of Doom

So it's goodbye to the old exhaust, and hello to a NOS Jama exhaust from Holland (Plus an additional 116 mostly NOS parts)

There must be a trick to getting the Y-Piece to stick in place, but damned if I know what it is.  Crazy system seems to defy all common sense.
What's the theory? That the not very soft copper o-rings flatten and squeeze on the y-piece so tightly it won't vibrate out?  Admittedly the Y-piece and rings are a bit lumpy from past corrosion  but that's bullshit.

Copper O-rings are annealed - everything is clean as I can get,  but I bolt it up tight as tight and they just pull out with a bit of encouragement. 

Last couple I've just welded the ring on the Y-piece and filled the joint with gasket goop.  This bike bike I was hoping to do 'properly'

Any hints and tips?

kevin g

When I was getting my bike running I had a leak at the y-pipe from the copper rings not seating.  I gently tapped them down the y-pipe past the taper and they held from the interference fit.  I re-assembled the exhaust and have had not more leaks from them.

MikeScoot

Yeah, they're mongrels! But that type of joint is supposed to be the ultimate for exhausts! Pretty sure it all depends on having asbestos-filled copper gaskets that will crush to smaller inner diameter and larger outer diameter as the clamp is tightened.
I've forgotten who it was (sorry) but one of our members suggested keeping upward pressure (via chocking or similar) on the "Y" piece as the mufflers are bolted on.
That worked well for me.

I think the whole idea is that th "Y" piece is considered part of the engine, and the engine and "Y" piece should be installed/removed together as a set. Attaching the Y is much easier with the mill out of the bike, but a LOT of caution must be used when installing to frame so the Y piece doesn't get knocked around. I knocked mine a bit but it still works well with no leaks. I used a high temp silicon around the gasket too.

MikeScoot

lololol Did they ship ALL THAT STUFF to you with the exhaust?

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: MikeScoot on September 27, 2020, 04:12:03 AM
lololol Did they ship ALL THAT STUFF to you with the exhaust?
Sure did.  30kg.
Don't ask what the shipping cost from Europe.

fret not

WOW!  What a box of goodies!
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

It's time to fit the exhaust and I have issue with the bike end of the Y-Piece.  I have brand new copper O-rings.  I figured they would be a tight press-fit on to the Y piece, but no, they are loosish.  Easily put on by hand and exactly the same as the used ones I already had.  That's a waste of $60

So here's a question.  If  the o-rings aren't a tight press fit, then what the hell keeps it all together and sealed tight?  There's not enough pressure with the clamp arrangement to squeeze and deform the rings till they clamp.  Good intentions don't seal in exhaust gasses.   I just don't get it

fiat-doctor

No idea really but maybe when it runs it gets super hot, the copper expands and it seals?
Doesn't sound good but it's all I've got.

kevin g

One my y-pipe the end is rolled inward and not as big in diameter as further down the pipe.  I gently tapped the copper rings down to this area until they fit the pipe tightly and then bolted things together.  I have had no leaks since then.  My rings were the original ones and not the new ones, which I intend to get if I decide to keep the bike.

MikeScoot

The idea is that as the clamp is tightened the space occupied by the gasket reduces, thereby forcing the gasket material hard against the surfaces that constrain/contain it. A couple of exhaust fellas explained to me that this system is the very best for getting a very tight exhaust gas seal - but I think it assumes the correct gasket being used. Filling the volume around the gasket with high-temp silicone and leaving the assembled pieces only "finger tight" till the silicone sets a bit, then tightening a bit more, then leaving a while before a final tightening seems to have workd for me - BUT I haven't taken th bike for a long run yet as other things have come up.

Good luck with it! Those gaskets you bought may not be a waste at all!