News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Advise on cold weather budget friendly options

Started by MrGonzo, November 04, 2019, 06:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrGonzo

Looking for advice on what to buy to keep my legs from freezing when taking the PA motorcycle safety class. I don't plan on riding much in winter after I finish the class so I'm trying to avoid specialized pants. My Vision doesn't have the full front end shield so my legs are exposed.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

fiat-doctor

Work jeans that have double fabric in front or flannel lined jeans.

jefferson

fret not

The reason for specialized clothing is to keep the rider safe from numbing cold and or wet.  Hand guards like the dirt riders use are very helpful to break the wind blast off your hands.  A few years ago there was a comparison between the BMW 650 GS and the Kawasaki KLR650.  The BMW came with heated grips, the KLR came with hand guards.  The upshot is that in the cold weather the hand guards were more protection and help than the heated grips of the BMW. 

I think it is wise to purchase some "over pants" that you can get into and out of easily without removing your footwear.  This makes riding in cooler weather much more enjoyable.  At one time years ago I had a snowmobile suit, designed for easy on/off with zippers up the outside of the legs from the cuff to the waist.  This feature made getting in  or out of the suit very easy.  I still have the suit but the zippers have given up their best some years ago.  Now they may open without the aid of the "handle".  That was a one piece suit, now the trend is for two piece suits with bib pants and a jacket. 

I also have a couple fairly nice riding jackets and pants (sort of hand-me-downs).  I did buy one good jacket, a "First Gear"  Kilimanjaro jacket.  It's a bit much in warm weather, even with it's vents, but the rest of the year it keeps the cold and most of the rain out.  It pays to watch for sales on specific items and get them when they are available on sale.  It took me almost a year to find my helmet, HJC RPHA Max, selected for head shape and size.  I didn't get a choice of colors as this model was the only model I found at the low price, (about $305. delivered to my door for at the time a nearly $500. helmet.)

Your equipment must fit you or it can become more of a liability than an asset in time of need. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

WGuaire

At some temperature, your body can't keep up with generating heat. Your 'core' gets cold, that's your internal organs, and the brain tells the body to pull blood from your extremities to protect your core. That's why your hands and feet get terribly cold. It's like me eating a carbohydrate. It's a fact of nature.
  I like the previous suggestions. But, if you keep the core heated, somehow, you stand a better chance for your whole body staying warmer in the saddle. After you have a decent riding outfit, just a battery operated electric vest will get you a lot of protection from the cold. It will maximize your other protection.
  I bought a battery operated heated jacket from globalwarming.com. I can use it with a good air trapping over jacket to get good protection against lower temps. If you are riding a bike that has a challenged electric system, battery powered gear won't tax your already overworked electrics.
Good luck,
Bill

fret not

Just stopping the wind from blowing through your clothes makes a very big difference.  One time on a long ride in the cold I put on my rain suit, and noticed the difference immediately.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

MrGonzo

Thanks for the responses. I ended up getting a wind proof rain suit and it worked perfectly!