News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

New to me Yellow Custom Vision

Started by Guzzinerd, December 29, 2019, 12:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guzzinerd

Hello Vision enthusiats. 

Picked up this 82' (says 81' on the neck) a month ago from a private collection that was parted out recently.  The builder is Dave Boyer (Mr Yamaha) who was well known for his artsy builds spanning the 70s 80s and 90s.   When i first saw it i thought "ugh, my eyes!" But the more i look at it the more i love it.

It came with the original title and 3k miles on the clock.  Aside from some minor corrosion on the cases this thing is incredibly clean.  The original tool kit looks as if it had never been opened and all the wiring is tucked away all new-like.

I cleaned out and caswelled the gas tank and rebuilt the carbs and fuel tap.  It started with the help of starter fluid but after reading about the carb issues am going ahead and doing a venture carb swap instead of messing with the originals.

Here are some pics.  Obvious upgrades are the dual front disks, spec ii exhaust, stainless braided brake lines, rear brake caliper, rz350 wheels, custom rear sets, teleflex fork brace, fork pressure guage.  Everything works (lights, signals, horn, etc) except for the tach.  All the fluids (oil, brake and coolant) looked fresh before changing them out.

I'll be posting progress and asking for help next month when i dig into the carb swap.  I'm pretty exciting about making it a daily rider.

Rgds
Alex
Miami FL

Video of only time i started it-> http://youtu.be/SFL_lTsz_oY

fret not

Wow!  Someone spent some time on that one.  The combination of round holes and the yellowish coloration bring to mind "Swiss cheese".  Very nice! :police:
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

auto

Sounds like it's running on just one cylinder.How about a pic from the other side.Think the wheels are from XJ900. What ever, someone put a lot of effort into it.

Guzzinerd

Started on one then 2nd cylinder kicked in then out before engine shut off.  I know these carbs are crap so not going to waste any time tuning them.  Will take more pics next week.  You're right about the wheels, I've had several rz's so that was my first thought.

Alex

The Prophet of Doom

Nice looking bike, and tasty mods.  The paint scheme is kind of reminiscent of the XZ400 "Air Current" model.  Different colours but a similar disco vibe.

If it was me I'd consider re-painting the fussy yellow bits black, just to make it look a bit more sleek, subtle and less DIY.  Radiator shroud, footpeg bracket, headlight bracket, Horn cover, caliper mounts. 

Guzzinerd

Yeah, i may do some toning down after i get the new carbs sorted.... but then again, it's as close to bosozuko I've ever been and i think they're pretty rad.

MikeScoot

Excellent score! XZ's are very ugly, but that kinda looks nice - in a trippy kinda way.
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

WGuaire

This bike should blend in well with Miami.
  Venture carbs? Are they plug and play with the Vision? Year and model? Part #?
Wow,
Bill

Guzzinerd

Not exactly plug and play but there are enough threads detailing success in the tech talk/carburetors subforum for me to take the plunge.  I've swapped out enough carbs over the years to know it's way worth the effort if you're starting out with untunable carbs to start with.  I just recieved a clean set of 83' venture carbs for $92 delivered. Next week I'll start mocking them up.

WGuaire

Blake

Could you take some pictures of that rear brake setup?   Curious how he converted it to disc.  From what I could see in the video...it actually looks fairly simple.

Thanks!
Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Guzzinerd

Guzzinerd

Yellow Rain

I haven't had the time i wanted to spend on this bike and now I'm selling my houses to move out west and need to sell a few bikes.  Nothing has changed since i took these pics, the tank was a bit crusty inside no visible holes or rot on the bottom but gas did weep from one of the seams.  Was going to just seal it with caswell which I'll include with the sale.  Clear, original, Florida title also included.   $800 takes it.  Located in Miami.  Can a moderator move this to the classifieds section please?