News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

1983 Wiring Behind Headlight

Started by kevin g, January 25, 2020, 12:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin g

I find the rubber pouch behind the headlight that all of the wiring is stuffed into rather annoying.  Has anyone come up with a good way to clean it up?  I am looking at various black plastic boxes that are intended to be used for electronics enclosures.  I mocked up the one I thought would work but now see it is probably to small to fit all of the connectors and excess cable length.

The added harness to extend the headlight and turn signal wires seems like it is over a foot longer than it needs to be so I may shorten it.

Any ideas?

lexx790

I tried to tidy it up by mounting an aluminium plate between the forks.
But also adding a few extra bits, voltage meter, horn relay etc it still looks a bit of a mess.
I have a black vinyl flap secured at the top which then covers it all up.
As per my old blog pics http://yamahaxz550restoration.blogspot.com/2010/02/front-electrics.html

jefferson

That looks well thought out and nicely done. Better than the oem setup for the 83 with the fairing.

motoracer8

I have a 83 and all the wiring terminates in the headlamp shell.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

kevin g

That is interesting motoracer8.  I have been fiddling a bit and it looks like they could all fit inside.  My harness has an extension cable for the headlight and front signals.  The headlight extension is about two feet too long.

Kenny

I added a fuse panel inside the headlight box it fits neatly on one side at this point I am only using it
as a power supply for my BMW style power plug in on the fairing.
        Cheers Ken S
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

kevin g

Motoracer8; is your '83 the one with the sport fairing or the frame mount fairing with the headlight bucket mounted to the fairing frame?  Mine has the frame-mount fairing and I was looking into fitting the wiring in the bucket but it is too short to fit.

The Prophet of Doom

On fully faired models, all the wiring is crammed into a rubber sock (9) instead of the headlight.  The sock is held in place with a metal bracket (3)