Aluminium Casing Cleaner Perhaps

Started by cvincer, March 15, 2020, 04:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cvincer

The attachment shows carb casing clean up using baking soda..... perhaps a low cost way of getting your engine casings looking a bit better.I have not tried it, interested to know if the results are as good as in the article photos.

Rikugun

Wow, those Solex carbs look like new. I think I've seen low cost DIY soda blasters discussed here before for carb cleaning. I don't see why it wouldn't work for the engine cases as well but don't recall anyone with practical experience having done it? I guess you'd need a bigger box of soda to start with! Nice article, thanks for sharing.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

MikeScoot

Ha ha ha ...

I just received a 6kg bag of the stuff! I looked online for regular quantities but they wanted absurd amounts of funds. So I got 6Kg for only 4x the price of 500gm.

Not sure about using the stuff on alloys though because it would only pave the way for pitting and corrosion - UNLESS one were to fill the freshly cleaned cavities with some sort of corrosion inhibitor. Certainly wouldn't use it on wheels.

Having said that, there is doubtlessly someone here who knows more about such things than I do.

I just re-polish the factory polished bits and they stand right out against the other darker bits by way of contrast.
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.