Main Menu

TCI chinese

Started by carlharri123, April 10, 2020, 05:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlharri123

Just found this on Aliexpress, has anyone bought one of these?

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/379676003.html

Chinese Vision TCI

Walt_M.

I haven't needed one so I haven't tried it. However there are other manufacturers, Ignitech and Zeeltronic that I have seen recommended by others that are not much more expensive to buy and come with customer support and warranties. I would try them first. Just not loving the Chinese too much lately. I just checked and Ignitech lists a TCI, Zeel doesn't specifically list a TCI. The Ignitech is $120 or so.
Whale oil beef hooked!

MikeScoot

I buy stuff from China VERY frequently and have had an excellent run over the years. I'm buying more now than ever because sometimes good things come to an end.
Very often the higher-priced stuff you get elsewhere is just Chinese stuff rebadged or relabled.
BUT HAVING SAID THAT, you do need to be careful and not always go for the rock-bottom prices - unless there a LOT of recommendations.
Shipping is a bit hit-and-miss lately too, but Aliexpress gives you very good buyer protection.

Unless outright war breaks out you should be pretty right with that purchase.
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

MikeScoot

Well, I bought one. It seems to work very well but it took almost two months to get here - due to limited flights from China during this COVID thingy.
Seems well made. It is a little smaller than the original, but will bolt on using just the top screw. Yet to mount mine more firmly but that won't be difficult at all.
Mike

(added later)

I Should add that I have only used it on the bench and not during proper road running yet.

injuhneer

It will be interesting to see how it runs. My understanding of the OEM ignition control is that that advance/retard is programmed in. A straight transistor control would trigger but will it have the correct advance curve?
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

MikeScoot

lolol I'll be furious if it doesn't! lolol
But I'm pretty confident that it will have an advance. Whether the advance is correct or not remains to be seen, but again I'm reasonably confident.
Only riding will tell, but I'm still hung on other minor issues and other (non bike-related) projects. It's the middle of winter here so I'm not in a mad hurry :-)
Mike

injuhneer

As an aside I noted in reading the info for this unit that it has no rev limiter.

The rev limiter saved my bike today. I was maneuvering out of the driveway. Unbeknownst to me a worn spot in the throttle cable sheath hung on the headlight bracket as I turned the handlebars left. This pulled the throttle cables and the engine rev'd to the limiter in the moment required for me to hit the kill switch.

Tomorrow I'll fix that cable problem.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

Walt_M.

The rev limiter source is from the tach. They have something like a 100% failure rate but if you are happy with it, maybe you can find which component is failing.
Whale oil beef hooked!

injuhneer

In my case the limiter worked. It stopped the engine from over-revving in the moments before I hit the kill switch.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ