News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Alternate Engine?

Started by Glyn, April 23, 2020, 07:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glyn

Hi this is my first post to the site in many years. Loved my Vision and did many mods to it, including a Weber downdraft carb conversion.  I have had many bikes after my Vision but always liked the style, handling and riding position.  One of the bikes I owned recently - a 1983 500cc Yamaha Virago had a lovely simple air cooled motor. I was wondering if it would be possible to fit that air cooled motor into an XZ 550. Some of the cycle parts look very similar. including the shaft drive. Anyone ever heard of this swop (or similar)? Cheers, Glyn New Zealand. PS Hope you are all well and safe under these trying conditions.

MikeScoot

I've never heard of such a swap, but if you wanted to do one I suppose the place to start would be measuring the various dimensions of the frames to see whether there is enough room in the XZ frame. I have an XZ frame here with no motor in it if you wanted some measurements.

Having said that, I have never done anything like what you are proposing and other people here may well have better information/suggestions.

Cheers,
Mike
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

fret not

How handy are you with fabrication?  Several points to consider: alignment of the drive shaft/motor, clearance between cylinders and frame, supports and mounting points.  Things like carburetors, exhaust, and wires can be worked out after the big and hard stuff is decided.  Do you have welding facility?

It's only metal, it can be cut, welded, drilled, formed, etc., so make it do what you need.   ;)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

This is a confusing concept to me as I've always thought of the engine as the best part of the Vision and have often wondered about putting one in a modern chassis, R3 maybe?
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Like John Clemons did!  Yes, I agree, the motor is the main point of interest for me.  However, ideas can happen, designs can be made, and some folks are suited to major fabrication and long term projects.  The main danger I see is getting part way through the process and losing interest due to difficulty and frustration.  This is a part of 'the Human Condition', where we are more likely to start something than finish it.  The bigger the project the more danger of not finishing it.  I'm not saying YOU won't.  Easy for me to say, as I am working on my 'project' for many years and it is nowhere near ready for the road, but I have accepted the personal challenge to see it through, and I have confidence it will be completed.  Can't say when but some time before I give up.  My point is that you have to want to make it happen strongly enough that you follow through to the finish.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

It would be easier to sort the carbs and electrical system so it functions as intended, than to transplant a different motor into the XZ chassis.  POD and others have laid out the steps to getting a Vision to run properly, and it's not rocket surgery.  If you REALLY like the air cooled 500 get one and leave the XZ as it was intended. :police:
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

MikeScoot

Quote from: fret not on April 25, 2020, 12:01:29 AM
... If you REALLY like the air cooled 500 get one and leave the XZ as it was intended. :police:

Yes, it would be a pity to lose an XZ from potential use.
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.