News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Need regulator info.

Started by SonnyT, May 06, 2020, 10:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonnyT

Okay guys, I need some help. I have an '82 Vision that I purchased new. It has 24,000 miles and runs perfectly at present. The stator has been replaced once about 15 years ago and the three leads soldered. Two or three years ago I bought a new regulator from Dennis Kirk in anticipation of bad things to come. I need help identifying what I have and if it is any better that stock. On the back is a label with "TMR541-1230" and under that is "2895-CN". I have googled the number and it is identified as a universal regulator for '94-'08 Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki. It has the three yellow stator wires in one connector, and the other connector has two red wires and two green wires.(I believe stock has four wires, red, black, white and brown) I have notes from somewhere that the red and green wires are connected to battery + and - respectively, and the four wires in the original connector are not used.
Does this wiring sound correct and is this regulator an upgrade from stock?
Thanks for your input.

WGuaire

Jack at Roadster Cycle has installation instructions that work for the Vision.
  His R/R units are the best.
http://roadstercycle.com/

SonnyT

Thanks. I'm sure I know how to wire it, but was just hoping someone would recognize what I have so I could decide to do with it. It may be a Mosfet for all I know.

fret not

The two RR units I found at Dennis Kirk that fit the XZ550 state they are basically like the stock unit, so most probably a silicon diode shunt design, like the original one.  There are numerous MOSFET RR units available on eBay if you know what to look for.  I found some for what I thought was a reasonable price, about $65us, of course there were many for much more.  The ones I got were mostly from Honda CBR600s and 1000s around 2005 and later.  A bit of detective work can result in more to choose from.  Suzuki also uses MOSFET RR units on some models, as do Polaris, Kawasaki, and others.  All of the units I found were made by Shindengen, and are marked with the RR model number chemically stamped on the casting.  So you can easily tell the difference between a MOSFET and a regular style silicon chip models.  These are ALL shunt type but the MOSFET ones operate at significantly cooler temps.  The next step is the series type.

The RR unit you have will likely function well until something goes wrong with the electrical system.  The stator, RR unit, and battery are all dependent on each other, so if one goes bad it can start a cascading effect and is hard on the other parts.   :police:
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

SonnyT

Thanks for the clarification. Since the new one I have is probably not substantially better than the original one on the bike, for reliability sake I will go ahead and get a MOSFET and install it at my leisure before the original goes out.
Thanks again.

The Prophet of Doom

I'd avoid the cheap regs on Aliexpress and EBay as they are fakes, and probably not even MOSFET.
Better to buy a genuine OEM than one of these.
You can learn how to spot a fake from Youtube

motoracer8

I got a regulator from a late Triumph twin and the pigtail. If you haven't cut the alt wires its a plug and play. I made a alloy Backing plate to mount it the original location. It's been on there several years with no issues. 

I wrote about the mod on a earlier post.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British