News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Flapper removal; effects of

Started by MikeScoot, July 08, 2020, 02:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeScoot

Ooo-La-La!  You just love pulling blown motors apart and fixing 'em, don't you?!
Would be great fun while it lasted though!!! Woo-Hoo!

"That big mushroom cloud sure looked like it was over New Zealand?"
"Yeah. And WTF is that? I didn't know there were motorcycles in low-earth orbit!"
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

injuhneer

Quote from: fret not on July 16, 2020, 04:09:40 PM
Fluid dynamics
The guys at the salt flats seem to think that calm (not turbulent) air is needed to enter the carbs.  So they spend time 'smoothing the flow' of air.  Actually, that is the big issue for going fast regardless of whether it is into the carbs or around the 'body' of the vehicle.  Laminar flow is the goal, quiet air.  Smoother = more efficient/less drag.

The factory spent time designing the air box, so consider if what you change makes a beneficial or detrimental difference.  For those of you with the inclination and technical abilities there are computer programs for CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics).

I have a nice module for Inventor that does a pretty good job. Finding time to model the airbox is another problem.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

injuhneer

Quote from: Prophet Of Doom on July 17, 2020, 07:27:59 AM
I'm dying for someone to try one of those Microburst nitrous kits on their vision.  That would be exciting

I seem to recall mentioning a while back in some thread that the YICS ports would be great for that purpose.

Are there any dyno charts stored on this site?
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

WGuaire

Quote from: pinholenz on July 13, 2020, 08:26:25 AM
Take-aways so far from this discussion is that the jury is out about flapper removal, and pod filters have poor laminar flow and are very noisy.

So, from collective experience, is the oiled foam of the UniFlow/UniFilter air filters for the XZ550 any quieter than the foam pods?. At least the UniIlters resemble the shape of the airbox-with-flapper air filters rather than the only other available rectangular air filter.

https://www.motorcycleid.com/uni-filter/direct-factory-replacement-air-filter.html?urlId=126700658

Goog to know about the UNI filter. The stock Vision filter is not available from Yamaha.

injuhneer

I had not found the UNI filter when I needed one so I stripped the paper media off a spare and cut UNI foam to fit.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ