New (to me) CBR1000R

Started by MikeScoot, August 30, 2020, 04:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeScoot

I came to the conclusion a couple of months ago that expecting my freshly restored XZ, 'Maxini' (VMax's little sister), to serve as a general purpose ride was not a good idea. Parts are too hard to get if something spits the dummy.
    Was about to go and check a 2019 GS500 with very minor damage when I thought to see what may have been in the 'too hard for today' basket at the local bike shops. Found a 2007 CBR1000R with a very minor coolant leak from the cyl. jacket. The shop let me pull the fairing off, grind back a previous repair and have a very good look at the leak. It's a small (2cm) hairline crack which is nearly invisible. So I bought the bike for a song and even got a helmet thrown-in so I could ride it the whole 1km home.
   The thing is in good condition and has been well taken care of. Also has some very expensive-looking suspension upgrades.

Well, it didn't take more than two shakes of a dead lamb's tail to work out that the thing is probably no more practical as a general purpose bike than Maxini! Ha ha ha. So now I suppose I'll have to look for another bike to park next to the XZ and the CBR :-) :-) :-) :-) 

The GS would have been a very practical bike but, with the CBR going for the same price (and saleable for twice that once I do a good fix on the leak), I got dazzled by the CBR. It's is a hell of a lot more bike and boogie for the same money!!!

lolol My revised budget for a 'hack bike' might now get me a CT90 or similar! Ha Ha Ha
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

MikeScoot

UPDATE
Now have a good 'hack' bike. It's a 1998 Suzuki 'Freewind' 650 single cylinder enduro-type thingy. Motor is basically a DR650 motor but with a different head that sports 2x32mm carbs. Has a half-arsed "fairing' (lots of shiny bloody plastic) around the headlight and top of the plastic tank, and quite a lot of other plastic - but is basically a DR650 slightly adapted for 'adventure' riding (on and off-road use).

The XZ is certainly not forgotten. It sits there, patiently, until I get around to painstakingly removing the crappy paintwork I did off and getting it professionally sprayed.

In the meantime, the XF 650 Freewind Suzuki is a lot of fun and a pretty good 'allrounder'.

Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.