News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

highest number yet....

Started by admin, September 07, 2020, 11:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

fret not

Probably, but what could they want with ROV?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

MikeScoot

I'm guessing you guys are talking about our robot (crawler) visitors. It only takes a comment or two which includes one of many 'keywords' to send those crawlers off their tiny rockers!
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

jefferson

They absolutely destroyed the xs750 site. Owners were absentee and no way to fight them.

admin

it's like this every week and has been for many years.
the majority of the email addresses end in .ru
every one of them random name combinations, it is persistent.
it used to be maybe a hundred or even a couple hundred, now it's running into the thousands.
thousands of new member sign-ups.
it is a denial of service attack and prevents a real new member from being able to sign up
because I certainly can't vet every single one.
just venting here because it seems to be getting worse as you can see.
Hope everyone is well.
carry on.

-Ron

briandneville

How did it come to this?

MikeScoot

Is there a function within the forum software to block IP ranges? I had the same problem with a couple of forums I had in Japan and blocking IP ranges, whilst harsh, did the trick.

EDIT
Something like this might do the trick. https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1547

If it's only bogus registrations then then the software should have a few verification hurdles you could enable, if not already done. Mailbacks, questions and answers, Captchas etc.

Good luck with it. :-)

MikeScoot

There seems to have been a huge jump in new memberships this year - 2878.
There are twelve times more members so far this year as there were for the whole of last year - 234

admin

Quote from: MikeScoot on September 08, 2020, 05:22:07 PM
Is there a function within the forum software to block IP ranges? I had the same problem with a couple of forums I had in Japan and blocking IP ranges, whilst harsh, did the trick.

EDIT
Something like this might do the trick. https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1547

If it's only bogus registrations then then the software should have a few verification hurdles you could enable, if not already done. Mailbacks, questions and answers, Captchas etc.

Good luck with it. :-)

Thanks for the suggestions Mike, already running a couple of anti-spammer mods.
will consider this one as well. If they were actually getting in that would be another story entirely.
I do ip blocking at home and at work, but here, it becomes a bit more time consuming,
if there were only more hours in the day lol.

The Prophet of Doom

Make them post a picture of their vision and the paypal reference for their first donation

The Prophet of Doom

Let us know if you need any co-moderaters