Fiat Dr's Vision gets a new look

Started by briandneville, November 28, 2020, 09:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briandneville

Thanks for info peeps.  Very helpful.  Am going to put this into tech talk, separate thread. FWIW.

I'll post PODs german doc translated by the internet (which seems to work really well!).  Not sure I will have the stamina to implement the circlip retrofit but will for sure work on the tightness of the triple clamp when re-assembling, when I get to that point...this is a can of worms.

Cheers!
How did it come to this?

briandneville

I got the first round of parts back from the painter today.
How did it come to this?

The Prophet of Doom

Nice !
Have you thought of running a file over the YAMAHA and TOKIKO lettering? 

briandneville

It took me a few weeks to get up the nerve to try this.  Thanks for the motivation.  Came out pretty good!
How did it come to this?

briandneville

The front end is back together; just need to spend some time organizing the wires under the instrument panel, then I will move on to painting the panels, tank, and fairing.  During a brief break in the rain I rolled it out of the garage and started it up.  It ran great once warm but was really hard to start.  There is definitely a problem with the rear cylinder when cold.  This is the same one that has the fuel leak from the drain.  I will take that apart and see if I can figure out what is going on.  Hope I get it started after that.
How did it come to this?

kevin g

I had hard starting on my '83 until I found that the idle circuit fuel passage was clogged.  There is a non-removeable jet at the bottom of a small cylindrical passage to the bottom of the float bowl.  I used a guitar string to clean it out after nothing else worked.  I posted photos of the location of the passage if you look for it.

briandneville

fairing parts and body panels prepped for paint

next step is to work on the tank which has significant dents on left side and rust around the cap

pic attached FWIW

looking forward to getting this all off to the paint shop, so I can get to work on the carbs
How did it come to this?

briandneville

trying again to get the photo to show up
How did it come to this?

briandneville

How did it come to this?

MoVision

Looks wonderful so far. That gold accents throughout was a wonderful choice.
enjoy the wrenching... This bike was sitting for 24 years in a barn. Took a week to get running until the gas tank started leaking....carbs done, coolant lines redone, brakes, tires, new paint, wiring, coolant reservoir vapor cleaned, front forks repacked, up next rear suspension

briandneville

How did it come to this?

pullshocks

Looking really good.  Hope to see this on the streets of Seattle soon!

briandneville

Pretty much done with paint.  I chose a slightly yellow off white with a lot pearl in it that really sparkles in the sun.  Amazingly, it runs better than it did when I took it apart; idles smoothly at 1100rpm when warm.  Cold starts and re-starts aren't exactly one touch but I'm figuring this thing out slowly.  Just in time for the rain to start falling again.  Seattle traffic is a terrible place to ride a motorcycle but I've run a few errands on the V which were way more fun than in a car.  When it gets too rainy to ride I'll change the mufflers and fluids, and possibly do some cleaning / polishing of the engine cases which are pretty corroded.  Looks pretty good for a 40 year old motorcycle with 34k on it.
How did it come to this?

fret not

Wow! That's rather pretty, Brian!  Very nice.  Inspiring even.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!