Jacking up the Vision?

Started by MrGonzo, December 22, 2020, 04:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrGonzo

I'd like to get the Vision higher up to work on it but don't have a lift, just a regular motorcycle / ATV jack. Where / how do you lift the Vision safely?

Walt_M.

You should get yourself a nice Christmas present, Harbor Freight has a good one for $450 US. I wish I had one.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

It depends on how high you need the bike to be so you can work on it, and what sort of work you will be doing.  It is best to have a very secure platform, and then use tie-downs to secure the bike.  I have seen "benches" about 40 cm (16")tall, that the platform tilts in the middle like a teeter totter that only goes 'down' on one end.  This becomes the ramp to roll the bike up until enough weight passes the pivot point and the platform tilts down to a flat position.  There is a flap at the end of the table that becomes a support when the table is level, attached with a hinge so it folds out of the way to allow the table to tilt down and roll the bike off when you are done, and acts as a stout virtical support for the end of the table when it is up in the air (level position).  It is a simple design that works well, and can be made from a couple sheets of stout plywood.  The mechanics where I worked covered the tables with galvanized sheet metal, had eye bolts at the corners to accommodate ratchet tie downs, and a support made of angle iron to act as a stop for the front wheel.  You can do quite a bit of pushing and shoving to the bike without worrying about it falling as long as it is secured well.  3 tie downs are the minimum, 4 is better.  This is a simple design that has proved to be effective on a daily use basis by professional mechanics, and is cheap to make.  The main problem with this type of bench is the space it occupies when it is not in use.  It does also function as a horizontal surface where 'things' can be put. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

MrGonzo

Quote from: Walt_M. on December 22, 2020, 06:55:31 PM
You should get yourself a nice Christmas present, Harbor Freight has a good one for $450 US. I wish I had one.

I'm looking at those too but I've always wondered how you do fork work with them. Still have to jack up the bike some how I suppose. And it's a bit out of my budget at the moment.

MrGonzo

Quote from: fret not on December 22, 2020, 10:24:54 PM
It depends on how high you need the bike to be so you can work on it, and what sort of work you will be doing. 

Looks like a nice idea. But my garage isn't that big, I have a hard enough time just moving around much less adding another platform. A lift might work if I can park a car over it when not in use. (68 442.) As of now, I want to be able to move the bike around my cramped garage on the jack and do carb work. The forks are mushy too so I plan on doing something with them (heaver oil perhaps) but the carbs need attention first. Even if I just get it high enough so I'm not sitting on the floor, that would be nice.

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: MrGonzo on December 23, 2020, 09:59:30 AM
Quote from: Walt_M. on December 22, 2020, 06:55:31 PM

I'm looking at those too but I've always wondered how you do fork work with them. Still have to jack up the bike some how I suppose. And it's a bit out of my budget at the moment.
Bike on the main stand and a car jack under the front of the engine to lift the wheel off the ground.  Easy.
I have one of those Chinese lifts.  One of the best thing I ever bought.
If you are watching your pennies you can build a box out of 18mm ply.  Hard to get the bike up there on your own though.

fret not

$89. @ Harbor Freight.  They call it a Motorcycle and ATV lift.  I have one and find it very helpful, mostly.  It is not a terribly stable way to lift a bike, but it works.  Be careful. :police:
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

WGuaire

Mr Gonzo - Years ago I bought a used Kendon lift. The harbor freight is big and heavy. The Kendon folds down, I lift the end and roll it up against the garage wall. It doesn't take much room.
  You can use your compressor to raise it, or use the hand lever. It uses a safety bar if the hydraulic should ever fail. I'm glad I got it.
  To get a bike back out of the chock, I cheat... I use a floor jack to lift the front wheel. That makes it quite easy to get a bike back out. I'm not sorry I bought this thing.

Here's their URL, in the USA.
https://www.kendonusa.com/collections/stand-up-folding-motorcycle-lifts

lexx790

I made my own with aluminium extrusion and a small trolley jack.

With a small wood ramp, push the bike lower the centre stand and lift the bike up leaving the back end free and in the air.

I've added some plates where the stand goes so it doesn't slip off and a front tyre clamp since this photo.

Also some eye bolts to tie the bike down.