News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

It was a steal from offerup?

Started by MoVision, March 10, 2021, 06:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoVision

Hello all,
Got an 82 550xz for $460 that was turning over and electrical worked well. Fluids replaced, brakes updated, carbs redone(buddy price $150 for both), new tires ordered and yet still there are a couple minor things to fix. Have to re plumb the breather lines, weld a leak in the tank. The patch on the tank I put didn't hold so it is cleaning up after the 2nd test ride. Nothing major but all in all a great ride. Really enjoy the torque in the mid range and all gears feel pretty smooth which is rare for a project bike. Still on probation for posting pics but I will get some up soon.

Oh and it came with the factory maintenance and diagram book as well. Could not believe it!
enjoy the wrenching... This bike was sitting for 24 years in a barn. Took a week to get running until the gas tank started leaking....carbs done, coolant lines redone, brakes, tires, new paint, wiring, coolant reservoir vapor cleaned, front forks repacked, up next rear suspension

Walt_M.

Welcome to the group. Good to hear that you've got it running. Having the factory manual is a big plus. If you're an experienced welder you know how dangerous gasoline fumes are. Good luck.
Whale oil beef hooked!

MoVision

Thank you for the greeting. Not experienced but I am taking it to my welding school and paying the instructor/owner to do it. This will make it easier for everyone and I get to keep my eyelashes.
enjoy the wrenching... This bike was sitting for 24 years in a barn. Took a week to get running until the gas tank started leaking....carbs done, coolant lines redone, brakes, tires, new paint, wiring, coolant reservoir vapor cleaned, front forks repacked, up next rear suspension

fret not

What is the approved method of welding a gas tank?  Is that where you fill the tank with water to do the welding? :police:
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

One of the guys on my welding course was killed shortly after from cutting an old oil drum,  I tend on the side of safety.  If it smells of chemicals it's probably deadly to weld.

I know others who weld tanks - most purge to remove the oxygen - CO2 or Argon.  Some fill with sand.  None that I know of fill with water.

Mine, I flowed water and dishwashing liquid through it till there was no smell of gasoline.  That took about a whole day. Then purged with argon before lighting up the tig
Even so, welding the seams gave some small but alarming explosions.

MoVision

I agree with Doom. I have seen shows where people don't care and simply removed the tank with petcock and valves, then hold a torch to it until it flames out. They then pressure washed the tank. I highly would not suggest this. I used JB steel weld on my tank and it was still slightly fume filled but it held or so I thought. Let it cure for three days but after I put in a gallon in another three days it was leaking again. Drained the tank for now and have been airing it out between the sunny days. This is why I am letting the guy with 30yrs knowledge take on the task. I will post the tips and tricks in a bit.