News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Today’s task...

Started by MoVision, March 16, 2021, 05:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoVision

Today is a glorious day of getting the front and rear wheel off so I can take the tires to get changed. Tried the front one last night but the front axle was not budging and the forks were slightly widening with any movement. So after some reading I am trying to soak it in grease, loosening the forks and going that way. Reading and videos showed that the bearings are stuck or the forks are uneven creating undesired tension. If all else fails I am open to suggestions.
enjoy the wrenching... This bike was sitting for 24 years in a barn. Took a week to get running until the gas tank started leaking....carbs done, coolant lines redone, brakes, tires, new paint, wiring, coolant reservoir vapor cleaned, front forks repacked, up next rear suspension

MoVision

Wondering if this guy coming off could save me some fork work
enjoy the wrenching... This bike was sitting for 24 years in a barn. Took a week to get running until the gas tank started leaking....carbs done, coolant lines redone, brakes, tires, new paint, wiring, coolant reservoir vapor cleaned, front forks repacked, up next rear suspension

MoVision

So before moving to forks I noticed these two items. One the axle looks like the incorrect one or put too far in. I am guessing the first of the two options. Secondly once axle screw was loosened the gap never opened up. I did not guess but rather used shims. Figuring out a way to open the gap the needed 4mm, will check in later

MoVision

It was not the post above, the axle was partially rusted in and the forks were not perfectly aligned. Saved the axle and the tire is off. Tomorrow will be the rear tire.

jefferson

Be sure and put a film of grease over the axle before putting it back together to keep the rust from doing what it did.

MoVision

Thank you, I plan on using some turmelene grease. It's great against salt build up and used on naval submarines. A dab will do ya for at least 1000ft below water and for 5 months at a time. Or one rear tire use lol

MoVision

Sorry for the long pause just been a little bit busy new things going today are obviously the tanks seal and I lost one of my caps for a breather kit so I had to do another one but instead of doing another one I just simply decide to make it connected. My thought is that it's since it's recirculating anyway in the X system it should need to be able to breed to keep idol together. Also I don't know where to get the caps.

MoVision

Peeled off the second attempt because it wasn't even hardening. I know I probably did not even knead it enough. Steel Stick, for me went 0-2, so I went with the gel type and it was much much better. Did two coats of different thicknesses and was shocked by the results. Tomorrow the bike will get another coat and then finally I can get back to riding! The registration finally showed up and insurance is covered. May get a new fuel filter before taking a long drive.

Was thinking of changing modifying the handlebars. Just a bit tall/long for me and I am currently searching for a conversion. In the meantime I ordered a universal crossbar so I can have my phone for gps.

MoVision

Update- The cure has set and I dumped in a gallon of gas so far. It is holding up just fine and I could not be happier. Tomorrow a ride happens or I do some tuning. Hoping it is a ride 8)

WGuaire

Another Vision hits the road. Congratulations on staying with it all the way to riding day!