News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Bought a cruddy action camera

Started by MoVision, March 23, 2021, 06:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoVision

I won't do a dedicated series or anything but wanted to document Things done as I see nothing on the bike itself other than review or work already done! I hate books especially repair manuals. I will follow them, I just like knowing all the steps. Got a Dragon touch 4k and a 128gb class 10 4k dedicated card. It won't be mounted for riding. Mainly mechanic work, should make a fool of me in the process.

The camera says that it only utilizes 64gb and I got the larger one to simply format that total space with calculated loss. That should mean less times for me to delete and record. Hopefully?
enjoy the wrenching... This bike was sitting for 24 years in a barn. Took a week to get running until the gas tank started leaking....carbs done, coolant lines redone, brakes, tires, new paint, wiring, coolant reservoir vapor cleaned, front forks repacked, up next rear suspension

MikeScoot

Not familiar with particular cam but why do you call it cruddy? Most work but sometimes you have to work out  their foibles and the foibles of your playback/editing hardware.
If you get probs with the 128 then accept the manufacturers recco and use a 64.
4K is pretty demanding on hardware 'cos of the data rates. If playback is choppy try viewing at slowed speed. VLC is good for that - just hit the "-"(minus) key and it will go to lower speeds as many times as you push it (opposite is good for boring movies).
Good luck!
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

WGuaire

"The camera says that it only utilizes 64gb"

Apparently their software is limited to addressing a 64 gig partition.
I wouldn't bother changing the footage if it works. Get the media clips on a high speed drive on a computer and see how the media acts first. If it's choppy, it may be the computer. Some cameras have HDMI output. View it if you can.

Better to lower the resolution than the frame rate. Video runs at 30 fps.

MoVision

Well it turns out the battery doesn't even work. I wrote them but it's the weekend so who knows when I get a response back. The positive is that they gave an extra accessory kit which had a chest harness helmet kit and everything else.One more added bonus was that it came with a free two year warranty.

The reason I called cruddy was because it just was in a go pro I have a buddy who has a go pro three and bought it brand new. It still works to this day he just doesn't use it as much.
enjoy the wrenching... This bike was sitting for 24 years in a barn. Took a week to get running until the gas tank started leaking....carbs done, coolant lines redone, brakes, tires, new paint, wiring, coolant reservoir vapor cleaned, front forks repacked, up next rear suspension

MikeScoot

I've never used one of those but they seem to have pretty good review ratings. Action cams are a bit fiddly by nature, and as I mentioned earlier, can be a bit tricky to operate. That's kinda understandable - crikeys, they are squeezing a LOT of tech into those tiny cases! Yours even manages to squeeze in a Sony 16 magapixel sensor!!!

You must be REALLY unlucky to have copped a dodgy battery. I have 10 here from various suppliers and none have ever given trouble. What will cause battery trouble is if you discharge it so much that the onboard controller (in the battery) won't do its job. I've done that with Nikon DSLR batteries and they are a LOT more expensive to replace than $8 generic action batteries. If total discharge IS the case then it's trashable. Easy way to get around that is always keep them charged properly. Pain in the ass but important.

I've has a few Ekens and now an unbranded "K8" travels everywhere I go as standard pocket litter. It's a great camera and my only criticisms are that it has no mic. jack (not many do) and the port door is really hard to open (nothing to grip to open it). But it does have a tripod mount moulded into the case, which is REALLY handy. It's a great little camera and even has pretty good image stabilisation. The Ekens have their own 'issues' too - like really clunky menus and confusing button assignments.

Now before you give up on the cheaper alternatives and get a Go Pro, consider that you can have two, three, maybe even FOUR cheaper cams for the price on one Go Pro which will be superceded next week (or the week after) anyway. There is fierce competition in this market and there are some great cams out there.  Your Dragon thing looks to be very good value for the price. Get a few extra batteries, a couple of fast 64 cards and play around with the thing until you are comfortable with it. By then you will have worked out what features are good for your own purposes and will probably be looking to upgrade. That's par for the course. When you do upgrade, that Dragon thing will make a good "B' camera.

MoVision

Wonderful news as the company reached out via email and said give us a call. They were extremely nice and asked for basic information before sending out two new batteries for the camera. They didn't ask my order number or anything. They just wanted me happy. My luck aside I will probably pick up more of these cameras as they come out due to this service.

MikeScoot

That's great!
I wonder whether if I bought one of their cameras, then my missus tripped over it 'cos I'd strategically left it in her way, then the misus left me, whether that company would send around a cute replacement missus OR TWO!!!

Have fun with the camera!

MoVision

Update-

The camera is up and running! Apparently I had too many california cigarettes and was pressing the wrong button for powering on the unit. The company sent me a lovely note as well. With the words, "try this button instead." So now I have four batteries and an extra mounting kit on the way. The video quality is pretty decent as well. Shot only in 720, 1089 as well as 2.7k because that is the only resolutions I have. Will check out the 4k next time I visit the parents. They have an 85" 4k tv so everything should be visible for faults. Even tested out the handlebar mounting setup on the kid's bike at the pump track today.

All in all I give it a 4 out of 5 stars for quality, service and value.

MikeScoot

lololol I'd be giving 'em 9 out of 5!!!!!
Well done to both teams! Yay!!!

MoVision

Yeah they went above and beyond. I also got the free accessories pack today which comes with all the mounts I did not have. Chest mount, arm and wrist mounts, underwater bobber etc. Kind of makes me wonder A) how they made money and B) what version are they using in china?

MikeScoot

lolol I think they are just trying to make sure that there is no way they get a bad reputation. Fair enough - even though that might cost them more than they make in a small percentage of cases.

By the look of it you could start your OWN internet shop selling all that extra stuff they sent you! Do 'em a favour and give 'em a 5/5. :-)

MoVision

I absolutely gave them a 5 of 5 and did not add about the extra stuff as sometimes others take advantage. Just used it recently for Great Wolf Lodge and it was a wonderful water camera.