News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Tank finally died

Started by MoVision, June 30, 2021, 04:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoVision

:( It has been a weird couple of months to say the least. Radiator reservoir cap popped off completely and the gas tank seals finally gave way. Ordered a reservoir and am looking for a new tank. Problem is, nothing is as big as the factory one that fits easily. I will do more research but am pretty upset with the  work I have done. Oh well, at least I bought a paint gun so I can dip my feet into custom tank paint jobs.

Actually pondering selling it to a buddy who says loads of people want the engine.
enjoy the wrenching... This bike was sitting for 24 years in a barn. Took a week to get running until the gas tank started leaking....carbs done, coolant lines redone, brakes, tires, new paint, wiring, coolant reservoir vapor cleaned, front forks repacked, up next rear suspension

Walt_M.

You might want to check for a tank in Europe. We had a member called German who got one for me, It was around $250 6-8 years ago. Haven't heard from him in a while but you might try ebay germany, you never know.
Whale oil beef hooked!

MoVision

Yeah tanks for these bikes are expensive! Picked up the vision for 440 so I am not comfortable with dropping another $250-$800, some people geez, on a replacement or OEM one which doesn't have a picture.

Decided on the next worst thing, weld it myself. JB weld is the damn devil and have not had any luck with it for any time over two weeks. Borrowed the neighbors flux core welder, put down a couple tacks and realized I need to practice before truly getting going on it. THESE TANKS ARE VERY THIN. All in all, it is on and done, slapped some bondo on there to finish smoothing the area. It still leaks, but my belief is that because I did not re coat the interior of the tank is what caused it. Before it was simply dripping out. Now at at least it takes a couple hours before the surface gets moist. That is with a full tank as well.

Draining and cleaning it out again this holiday so I can hopefully finally end this process and get her back on the road.

My last ditch effort is to visit a local bike dismantler and bring the tank with to see if there is an alternate to be had. Painting it won't be an issue.
enjoy the wrenching... This bike was sitting for 24 years in a barn. Took a week to get running until the gas tank started leaking....carbs done, coolant lines redone, brakes, tires, new paint, wiring, coolant reservoir vapor cleaned, front forks repacked, up next rear suspension