Trying out spray gun painting

Started by MoVision, July 15, 2021, 06:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoVision

Hi all, I have been debating vinyl vs paint for a while now and come to a decision for paint. Have a 26 gallon compressor so why not? I am sticking close to the manufacturer red from House of Kolor Shimrin2 line up. Base coat is Solar Flair Red Metallic which is much like a matte red with metallic flakes. Candy coat is Apple Metajuls Red L4, which is a light cherry red until light hits it making it hit as a superman bright red. Having only the right under seat rail to give comparison, this combo looked fantastic. Also got the clear coat, a quart with activator. The base and candy coats share a slow reducer which the guy was very cool about explaining it all. Not to mention the price wasn't bad compared to vinyl. Vinyl for just the tank was going to run $150 shipped. Now the plastics as well as the tank will match in the same $65 dollar difference. Sanding starts tomorrow for the plastics. Giving the rank one last go as well.
enjoy the wrenching... This bike was sitting for 24 years in a barn. Took a week to get running until the gas tank started leaking....carbs done, coolant lines redone, brakes, tires, new paint, wiring, coolant reservoir vapor cleaned, front forks repacked, up next rear suspension

fret not

May I suggest you get some less expensive material to practice with, and practice on other objects.  It is difficult enough just painting flat surfaces, but compound contours (tank, covers, frame, etc.) require a steady hand and eye to avoid loading too much material in one place (runs, sags, etc.) while getting enough material covering the more difficult to reach areas.  Just spraying on cardboard boxes will help gain the 'feel' of the equipment and material.  Speak with the folks at the paint supplier for ideas of how to prepare surfaces and apply their product.   Metallic paints must be applied very evenly or you will get a blotchy effect.  Wishing good luck with this adventure.

If you are spraying in this heat you will need a retarder to slow the evaporation of the solvents.  The retarder should allow the material to 'level', or flow out before it 'sets'.  Again, speak with the  paint supplier about these things, as they want their product to do well, and usually are quite helpful.  Once you get all the stuff together PRACTICE  to get the feel of the process.  A skilled painter makes it look so easy, because he has had a lot of practice.

One other point: Surface preparation is the key to a nice job.  Remove any nicks or scratches or fill them with an appropriate filler.  The supplier will know what to get for this.  How many grits (180, 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, ?)of sandpaper are you going to use?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

fret not

Mo vision, so, how is the painting process going?  What problems have you encountered?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

injuhneer

I noted that you have a compressor. What sort of gun(s) do you have for this work?
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

MoVision

80, 180, 320, 800, 1000 papers were used. Practice and nozzle adjustment was done on plastic tarp, aka my paint cage. I wrapped the film around an old grow tent from offerup. Used painters tape as well as the pin stripe tape to keep my emblems clear.

One last note is that the gun was perfect for the compressor as long as I kept it on charging mode. It kept pressure the entire process which helped a lot with consistency. Also didn't try to cake on the paint either. Thinking this was actually pretty beneficial in the long run as it was easier to not overdue it.
enjoy the wrenching... This bike was sitting for 24 years in a barn. Took a week to get running until the gas tank started leaking....carbs done, coolant lines redone, brakes, tires, new paint, wiring, coolant reservoir vapor cleaned, front forks repacked, up next rear suspension