News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Single bolts rusted, why and how to avoid?

Started by karmisol, September 03, 2021, 11:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karmisol

Hello all!

I just got my XZ550 and realized that there are a few bolts that have rusted much mre than others. Does anyone have any idea why and what I should do to ensure the next part doesn't rust like this? (Special metal, coat the part, just avoid water?)

Please see attached images!

fret not

From your pics I assume you are very near the ocean or in an area that salts the roads during winter time.  There is a solution used by many of the land speed racers that go to the Bonneville salt flats, it is called Salt-X or something like that.  As long as your bike is exposed to salt it will corrode.   The Salt-X solution is to be sprayed on the vehicle before exposure to salt and allowed to dry, and then again after is was exposed to rinse off the accumulated salt.  generally use cold water for rinsing, as warm water tends to activate the salt and make it more aggressive.  Warm water is great IF you get ALL the salt off, but if ANY remains it becomes more active.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

We have a product here called Corrosion X that is supposed to do the same thing.
Whale oil beef hooked!

karmisol

Thank you very much! As you say they usually salt the roads here so that is probably the source of the issue.

I am still confused why these specific bolts have rusted while the rest look really good. I guess the easy explanation is that the previous owner replaced the others.

I'll order replacements and coat them in Corrosion X before installing and then also use it to care for my bike.

injuhneer

The plating used on various parts is not all the same. Salt dissolved in water allows ions to move more easily because the solution is conductive. Some platings will oxidize/corrode more readily as a result. There is also hydrogen released in the process that produces a mild acid that attacks metal(s).

I use Boeshield T-9 (Boeing stuff). I lived in Florida for a while and most of the marine shops use Boeshield to protect the metal surfaces on boats.

There are lots of choices. WD-40 inhibitor, Loctite, Sta-Bil, CRC and others all have corrosion inhibiting products.

- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

fret not

Also, it appears that some of the case screws are stainless, which do not rust.  Keep in mind that the screws are not the only parts that can rust, so preventing exposure to salt and washing the salt off after exposure are the key.  Your pic also shows some corrosion on aluminum surfaces. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: fret not on October 22, 2021, 03:37:18 PM
Also, it appears that some of the case screws are stainless, which do not rust.  Keep in mind that the screws are not the only parts that can rust, so preventing exposure to salt and washing the salt off after exposure are the key.  Your pic also shows some corrosion on aluminum surfaces. 

I though stainless and aluminium were reactive.  Seems an odd thing to use for case bolts on an alloy engine

injuhneer

Quote from: Prophet Of Doom on October 23, 2021, 05:18:29 AM

I though stainless and aluminium were reactive.  Seems an odd thing to use for case bolts on an alloy engine

That is true. Aluminum and SS are nearly on opposite ends of the Galvanic series. Add salt water and you have a battery. LOL. That flow of electrons promotes the corrosion.

I use SS fasteners but I also coat the threads (typically a nickel-based anti-sieze) and use plain steel or plastic washers to minimize the effect. Otherwise I used zinc plated (plain or yellow chromated) fasteners because they are on the same end of the Galvanic series.

https://www.fastenal.com/content/feds/pdf/Article%20-%20Corrosion.pdf

- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ