Main Menu

MotoGP '22

Started by fret not, January 31, 2022, 12:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fret not

The rumors are flying regarding the upcoming "silly season" when riders and team owners all try to gain some advantage for the next season.  This year most contracts are up for 'renewal' or just ending.  Team owners try to get the best riders and the riders all try to get the best rides and money.  Feelings and allegiances can become bruised and sore in some cases, and rewarded in some cases.  THIS is the 'soap opera' for guys; who will join which team, who will become the next 'star' on the way to becoming the new champion, will the new "XXXXX" arrive with enough power, or 'grip', or will no one be able to tame it?  We will wait and watch as the new season unfolds.  Much to be hopeful for as old injuries mend and new parts are developed to gain a bit more here or there.  A tenth of a second here and another there means significant advancement, and a better chance for success.  Now, if only they can gain more understanding of how the tires can be used . . . . . .There is an intense struggle going on in the pits to gain some advantage, whether it is aerodynamic, mechanical, digital, or psychological in order to win the championship.  And all the teams will be trying their utmost to be at the 'sharp end' of the struggle. 
Mostly I cheer for all of them, and I enjoy seeing the development of the machines and tires, and watching the personalities on display.  Like I said, soap opera for guys.  Mystery, intrigue, guts and will, humor, and drama.  It is about to begin unfolding as we near the first major test of the season where we get to see how the new bikes stack up against the other new bikes, and the new riders against the 'old' guys.  I think it will be an exciting season as it gets rolling.  We shall see soon enough.  So far it looks like Ducati will be the 'one to beat', as they will have 8 bikes on the grid, and they turn now plus they have all that horse power and some very good riders.  Honda looks to be much improved, and Suzuki has made some progress in gaining more power.  But we need to see how they compare when they are put to the test of competition on the track.  Still waiting to see if Yamaha brings something for the new season, or just relies on the old bikes from last year.  They DID win the championship, but M. Marquez was absent due to injuries.  Everybody starts off a new season with the same score until the end of the first race. 8)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

There was a shakedown run in Sepang today, newbies and test riders only. Raul Fernandez was on top on his Tech III KTM, some Ducatis an Aprilia and Sylvain Guiantoli on a Suzuki. There were 3 Yamahas, led by Darryn Binder and test riders 2 and 1 at the bottom of the chart. The factory guys show on Feb, 5-6.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

And today the Aprillias are on top of the time sheets.  So, at least they can play at the sharp end.  Rumors flying of riders moving to 'other' teams.  It is to be expected as most of the rider contracts are at the end of their specified times.  Quartararo may be moving if Yamaha doesn't bring more motor.

Walt_M.

Bastianini on a GP21 led the sessions, Espargaro on the Aprilia was second, both under the lap record. Quartararo was 7th even with the speed deficit, even the Suzukis are faster. Crutchlow was 2nd Yamaha in 24th. It could be a long season for Yamaha.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Next stop is Mandalika for more of this.  It will soon be the first race of the season in Qatar, but before that there is more testing at Mandalika in SE Asia.  Things look good for Suzuki, Honda is showing promise with the new version of their bike, Aprilia is happy with their showing so far, and everything looks great for Ducati.  KTM seems to need a bit of something yet, and Yamaha is holding an empty bag.  At any rate the new season looks to be another cracker, so hang on to your hat and get set for another great season of racing.  New 'blood' (rookies) making noise, and the 'regular' riders getting their settings ready for battle, lots of new parts from the factories being tested, all trying to find a bit more advantage.  And so the chase goes on.

fret not

For one day all 6 manufacturers were represented in the 'top six'.  THAT is very close to 'even' for the manufacturers, so I expect the new season to be rather competitive.  However, we will get to see how all those bikes and riders sort things out once the actual racing begins.  Looking at charts and time sheets is one thing, BUT when the green flag drops the BS stops and we get to see how things sort themselves in the fire of actual racing.  This promises to be a more hotly contested season than usual, as there are so many very competitive potential winners.  The tension builds as testing continues and we approach the first race. 8)

fret not

March 6 the 'noise' begins in Qatar.  Then we will get to see how all the competition sorts things out.  21 races scheduled for the season, and so far in the testing sessions it looks like a fairly closely matched competition at the pointy end.  I expect another great season of racing, and more chapters of intrigue within the paddock and surrounds.

Walt_M.

Day 1 FP is finished, Suzuki, Honda, Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha. and the Yamaha isn't Quartararo.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

After all the Qualifying has been completed the 'stage' has been set for tomorrow.  Two Ducatis and a Honda(Marquez) on the front row; Ducati , Aprillia, and Honda on the second row, and so it goes.  "They line up on Sunday because nobody knows what's going to happen".  There are some remarkably fast riders now, and the machines are fairly close in potential.  At least a dozen bikes qualified within a one second spread.  On 'paper' it seems to be VERY close.  We can know in a few hours(9 ?) from now, as the Time Zone where the race is happening is several hours ahead of California, where I am.  I will read about it when I get up in the morning.

Yesterday I watched a video on the MotoGP site of a Suzuki passing a Ducati!  Suzuki has made another step forward.  My VideoPASS has renewed on the MotoGP site, so let the 'games' begin!

Walt_M.

I was watching the Daytona SX and missed the MotoGp but it will be on CNBC at 1:30 eastern US so will see it on the big screen in a couple of hours
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

I weakened and bought the VideoPass from the MotoGP site.  I watched the race this afternoon.  For all the Ducatis entered in the race not very many showed up for points.  Ducati (Bastianini)won the race, KTM(B. Binder) got 2nd, and Pol Espargaro (Honda) took 3rd.  Magic Marc was 5th, I wonder how he is feeling, and if he had any unusual issues during the race.  For all the medical issues he has been through I think it is a wonder he can function as well as he is doing.  But if he is really physically fit I would expect a better result in the race.  The season has begun!

Walt_M.

I have Video Pass too but I like to watch on the bigger screen so I can buzz through the ads. I did expect more from Ducati but Yamaha got what they deserved. If they don't want to give the guys more power maybe they should take up curling.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

So now they're in Indonesia and the 2 fastest times are Quartararo and Morbidelli, wtf, over.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Yeah, at this point the weather forecast is for at least some sort of rain, heavy in the morning and lighter through the day.  So, it will be what it will be and they all have to ride in the same weather.  No body likes racing in the rain, but I think Marquez and Miller might be the ones to watch.  Not sure about B Binder in rain yet.  So we wait on the whims of the weather.  This must cause some anxiety in the paddock/garages among the riders and the mechanics trying to figure what set up and strategies to use.  This is where having two bikes is a real benefit so one can be ready with tires opposite of what they begin the race with in case the weather changes quickly.  I will watch safely from home. ;)

Walt_M.

It was a full wet race which I normally do not enjoy but to pretty much everyone's surprise the course offered good wet traction.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Empathy for Magic Marc!  On the MotoGP site is a short video of Marc's highside in the warm up . . . . . I replayed it several times to figure out how many times the bike flipped over, and if it hit Marc.  I still don't know.  Very violent thrashing, and amazing he survived.  I hope Marc mends well and returns soon.

Walt_M.

I don't think the bike hit him but he got some serious altitude and hit hard. I hate to think fate is paying him back for all of his miraculous saves over the years. More likely is his reaction times are approaching normal and he can't adjust to normal. I really hope he doesn't get seriously injured.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

What will be the outcome of the seasonal "musical chairs"?   I see rumors but no real news.  Will Quartararo stay with Yamaha or move to Honda or Ducati?  Miguel Olivera, who just won the most recent race, still has no contract for next year.  I find that a situation more than curious, but maybe the plans for the future will soon unfold.  Most of the rider's contracts are over this season, so we should hear pretty soon just who is going where.

fret not

The next race to be in Argentina at the Termas De Rio Hondo (Thermals (hot springs)of Deep River ).  Last year there was a fire that destroyed some of the garage facilities at that track, so we shall see how that works out.  'The Marc' has been ruled unfit for this race, so we wait to see if he will be able to race a week later at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin,TX.  Spring happening here in the northern hemisphere, which means Fall in the southern hemisphere.  How much of an issue will the Michelin tires make?  Stiffer carcass to help prevent flexing causing heat, but they need some flex to make good contact patch with the road surface.  Changing tire characteristics means all the work done by the teams to determine what set-ups to use is  obsolete.  What they learned in the early tests seems no longer to apply because the tires are not the same.  However, someone will win, and the teams get more data for figuring out what to change or do next. 

I hope Marc will be fit for the race in Austin, but this is beginning to look like another year of injury related poor results.

It is really good to see the KTM brand making noise at the sharp end of the competition.  Next should be the Aprillia, and it has shown it CAN play at the sharp end.

I am hoping for more good racing and no more injuries. :police:

fret not

And the Soap Opera continues . . . . . as the freight airline has had some issues and much of the equipment for the race is stranded in Africa now.  Report says it should be in Argentina by Friday.  So in the meantime there is no practice, set-up adjustments, or other preparations for the race which is still scheduled for Sunday.  Hopefully all will work out reasonably and no one gets hurt, but this is a situation where long hours, lack of sleep, jet lag, rushing to get everything done  . . . . . .I think you can imagine how things could go wrong.  It is time to hold some good thoughts for the crews and support people that make an event such as this to happen in a reasonably safe and orderly manner. :angel: