News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

NEED FLOAT VALVE NEEDLE and FIX TRIK FOR RSTD SCRW

Started by scootertramp, May 26, 2003, 06:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scootertramp

I SCREWED UP BAD ON THE CARB!
I installed new rubber in the valve seat and got the screw off okay and everything went well put it all back together and began on the FRONT carb top. First I had to go BACk to the parts store and get the next SIZE smaller rubber ring. twenty five miles or so TWICE! OY!
then the SCREW on the valve seat was rusted solid and I tried and tried to get it off WITHOUT stripping it out.after wd- 40 and the hammer trick I stripped the head mostly and decided to LEAVE IT AS IS and REINSTALL THE CARBS.
No such luck.. ?I had, had to go across the street to vise the carb top to do the HAMMER TRICK which is ?gently tap the screw while turning it to "break it free" Did'nt work and as gently as I could I still stripped the head somewhat. So I take it BACk across the street ?gonna put it back together and hopefully find some needle nose vise grips to attempt to remove that screw at a later date... ?
and THEN I CANNOT FIND NEEDLE VALVE at all. I searched high and low and here and there and ranted and raved and STILL CAN"T FIND THE DAMN THING.. ?what in the HELL is that about? the one peice that I DON"T WANT TO LOSE I lose? ?holy CRAP! everything else was there and I know I am going crazy.OY VAY!.
 I was hoping one of you good folkes would send me "one" FLOAT NEEDLE VALVE.I would be glad to send you a reasonable amount for it .. I cannot ride till I get it.. SO anyone?. ?HELP ME snail mail? wrap it in a peice of paper and mail it first class.. HELLLLP! I am stranded
HOW DO I GET THE SCREW OUT? HEY I'm gonna need one of those ?VALVE SEAT SCREWS TOO...! ? ?do I drill it? ?HEAT IT?put a maggot on it? HELP! I thought about needle nose vize grips?
 I will send you dollars back if you give a return addy.. A po box is best..
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

Lucky

scooter, Chill!
you can get a new needle & seat, just have your friendly local bike shop get one for an 82 maxim, and the K&L part# is 18-4651

As for the screw, grasp it with a small regular Vice-grips and give it a good turn it should "snap" loose, then match it up in the "metrics" section of the hardware store. put a dab of never-sieze on the threads to keep it from seizing up again.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Humber

the needles are interchangable with XJ550 (that one with the similar tank to our V)
nie ma podpis?w

Rick G

Hey scoot, do you remember my suggestion, about sending your carbs to Lucky??   well ,  (I love this Part) I TOLD YOU SO,  It isn't as easy as it looks ! Hang in there , don't give up!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

Hey Rick, God protects dumb animals & children!  Ok Scoot, were just playing with you! :)You know we're here to help!

scootertramp

Oh I learn EVERYTHING THE HARD WAY. I ordered the part and the guy hassled me about the part number.. OY! I told him The luck miester said that's the right number. I rebuilt one top fine, only the needle got lost. I will now use a can instead of trusting the table top.. the carb tops are easy really.. I'm worried to go further down into 'em.The back second venturi looks loose and I can see NO GASKET.
DOES anyone know the size of it?  
They seem really clean. I believe someone has been at this bike before me.
I am learning though ONLY I wish I had franken dude as my next door neighbor. that vision he built seems like the BOMB! mine is kinda crappy and old lookin yet I would like to restore it like FRANKENDUDE.. way to go MAN!.
I'm gonna do the rectifier test now.. I'll do the stator load test after I get the carbs back together..
cause this is a

sdinino

Hey Scoot, keep at it - sounds like you're makin' progress.

You know you'll find that needle... just as soon as you pay for a replacement! :-)

-- Steve D

scootertramp

Thanks for the goode wordes SD.
I clipped the wires and the rectifier is once again free from the loop. so on goes the olde ohm thang.
I was told to use the ohm meter part of my tester. is this correct? the book says DIODE TESTER.. how does the test seem REVERSED? if it says it's BAD ,it's really good?
I am most likely gonna move the RR so I will NOT solder it to do the LOAD TEST.  is this alright?

ME after losing valve needle :'(
ME when the guy tried to charge me forty smackaroonies :o
me when I found it for nineteen somethin' ;D ;)
cause this is a

sdinino

An ohm meter works fine for testing diodes. A diode is just a one way gate - juice flows one direction but not the other. So, when you use the ohm meter you should see 0 ohms one way and infinite ohms the other. A bad diode will usually be stuck open or closed, so you'll get the same reading both directions.

What's reversed about the instructions is which side shows 0 and which side shows infinite.
-- Steve D

Lucky

No no no!
a good diode will show about 1.5 Ohms in one direction, and no continuity in the other.

a bad diode will show almost complete continuity in one direction & none in the other (or none in either direction)

--Lucky

Brian Moffet

As a side note to Diodes.  A diode is a gate, but it reacts in a particular way.  A diode will maintain a voltage across the two leads, either (roughly) .5 volt (varies with the diode) or no voltage.   This is done no matter what the current is across the leads up to a point (when the diode fries).

So, what that means electrically is that the diode will vary the resistance across the lead to maintain that voltage.  for a given current it will have one resistance, for twice that current it will have twice the resistance.

So you can see that measuring a diode with an ohm meter means you really need to understand what your looking for.

More trivia for you all :-)

Brian

Brian Moffet

Sorry, I just realized my last posting was incorrect. ?It should be that for a given current, the diode will have a resistance, for twice the current the diode will have 1/2 the resistance.

V = IR, remember that Brian :-)

Rick G

Now you are giving me the kind of head ache  I got in electronics school  ??? :-[ >:(
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike