Late night (well..early for Rick G and I) CAD

Started by Blake, May 12, 2003, 10:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

Sitting around with nothing to do for a few hours, so i go take a look at the vision, and come up with an idea, if someone were to change out the carbs on the visions to side draft.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/bstoddar/xz550/

the pictures go from 112k to 34k..so load time will vary..

I made a file for what could be used as a ram airbox for the vision made out of 2mm and 2.5mm sheetmetal (not sure of gauge..i was just winging it..what ever looked good enough for the stresses on my ruler is what i chose).  Anyway, this what you see would be the left side.  The small hole above the air scoop is for the fuel cock.  The hole for the carb is 62mm in diameter, the correct size for a 36 or 38mm mikuni roundslide carb outter bell.

Um..   i decided the top of the airscoop should be flat instead of angled up..just cause in my personal opinion it looked better, and i kept it with the curve of the bottom sheet for looks.

As for mounting.  the top curve part follows the curve of the bottom of the gas tank at that section (from the low point right behind the petcock to the other low point that meets at the front up tube of the frame).  The bottom point would mount at the engine mount right there that connects to the frame.  as for other mounts? um.. im thinking i COULD modify the back straight part so that it mounts where the side plastic mounts to the tank.  and the front?  from memory the only place i remember is where the air dam mounts to the frame with a wing nut.  the air scoop doesnt cover all of the side (i thought about this) so that the air has a place to exit and the engine doesnt cook up..  one thing that could be a possibility for this is..whats the word?..like you see on OLD (1930's) hotrods. the have the little "slices" in the hood.  louvetting?  basically like your grates on your airconditioning ducts.  This would help scoop air and blow it to the engine but wouldnt affect the ram air affect.

Like i said.. just random playing around with cad.   I attempted to do the triple tree yesterday, but with the lack of a dial caliper or some other precise measuring device, it made the task quite difficult.  

anyway,   anyone have any ideas or suggestions?   this is just me screwing around..  now if only i had some metal working equipment instead of a garage full of wood working tools..    >:(

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Lucky

So because I have a fairing on my 82 I'm Screwed right??!!

LOL, Just kidding! :D  Really neat, looks cool
I can't really get an idea of the size in my head, but I think it would look good if you could somehow incorporate tha V's angular lines, particuarly the one that runs from tha tail light, under the seat, under the diamond shaped sidecover (vision) and would run to the bottom of the radiator trim or front fender  (if you hold a ruler up to a pic of the V, you'll see that this is nearly a straight line)

poss adding a slight "crease" along this line, or even just some pinstriping on the scoop...
just a thought.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Blake

Hey lucky..

im looking at a picture of my vision right now and i see what your saying about the line.  it actually looks like it'd look better..  i'll screw around with it a bit later today and see if i can't get it looking like it would go with the natural flow of the bike.  I'll see if i can put some pin stripes..or flames on it too  ;D

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Lucky

i'm emailing you a crude 5 min pic i just did
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black