News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Stuck Float Needle Question

Started by MotorPlow, April 10, 2005, 06:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotorPlow

I seem to have a problem with fuel leaking out of the overflow tubes when the bike is idling.  I checked all the past posts and have some questions.

Does the float needle get stuck in the open or closed position?  As the bike runs fine, I am assuming that the float needle is stuck in the open position, so...  The float bowl is getting fuel and as the carb can only suck so much fuel, the rest is going out the overflow.

If this is the case, draining and tapping on the float bowl with a hammer will not help as the needle is already in the low position, correct?  Gravity can't help me here.

My next step is to spray carb cleaner in through the overflow outlet, but gotta buy some first.

Am I on the right track with this?

I ran on reserve the other day and this sympton started after that.  Yes, I have a fuel filter that was recently changed to a new one.  The old filter did not look dirty, but was changed anyway.

Don Minor

;)Motor,
The carb float works like this; The carb fills up with gas and the float rises and shuts off the fuel.If you have an overflow , it can be from a number of things. If the needle valve on top of the float has dirt or rust stuck in it ,the fuel will continue to flow to the top of the bowel and out the  overflow tube. Draining and tapping on the carb will normally clear this problem.If the float leaks (like a leaking boat) it will sink. You will have to replace the float in this case.
   I would drain and tap the carbs ( not with a hammer),and if that does the trick,GREAT! If that doesn't work new floats will be needed.
   One other thing, if you just rebuilt your carbs, you may have set the float hieght wrong. either way, if draining and tapping don't do the trick, opening the the carbs is the next step.
   Hope ths helps.
Don

Lucky

""If the float leaks (like a leaking boat) it will sink.""
UNTRUE these floats are solid not hollow like the old brass ones. the cannot fill with fuel, or even become saturated.

I have found SEVERAL 82 carbs where the overflow tubes in the carbs were 2-3 mm lower than they were supposed to be. set in wrong at assembly, or just cut short.  lower the floats by 3mm & clean/replace the inlet needles & seats. also, make sure the o-rings on the drain screws are in good shape. if they leak you'll get gas out the overflow.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

MotorPlow