Wheelies

Started by sgrprincees, March 14, 2003, 06:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgrprincees

Anyone ever done a wheelie with their Vision?  Anyone ever tried?

VK

Yep.  Last fall I was waiting at a stoplight with my 7 year old son on the back.  I had been teasing him that I'd pop a wheelie when the lights changed, but didn't really intend to do so.  I revved the engine to get a fast start, but no so fast as to reach lift off - or so I thought.  We went clear through the intersection with the front tire pointing to the sky (that may be an exaggeration) and came down with a silky smooth landing.  I was more startled than he was and haven't attempted this stunt since.  

VK

Lucky

Yup, when I rebuild a set of V carbs, I put 'em on my bike for final tuning, took off from a standing start one time last summer with a customers set on, and rode it half way down the street on one wheel, pulled into the driveway with a huge grin on my face!
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tim B.

I've popped quite a few on mine (1st gear only). Some of the landings were pretty abrupt compared to other bikes I've owned. Plus with the whimpy forks on the Vision I've worried about blowing out the seals. So I guess I wouldn't categorize the Vision as a wheelie machine.

I was told by a friend that he could pull a nose stand on an '82. Now that would be something- just not something I think I'll be attempting. ;D
Veni Vidi Vici...Vision.

greener

I pulled a wheelie first time out after putting my bike together.  i've only done it in 1st gear and cant get enough torque in any other gear plus i have to pop the clutch a bit.  I also tried to do a noise stand or a "brake-e" as some might call it but i find that my front tire doesnt grip good enough and just skids - its kinda scary when it skids.  my bike is rather a stock 82 with no real big modifications other than some cool cosmetic stuff.  I have the top 1/4 faring and would love to know if there are in fact lowers that will fit an 82, i know of the 83 but im not sure if they would fit.  anyone know?

Billy_Bob

In my opinion, you can wheely almost any bike, the reason I think this, is because last year I was pulling wheelies off with my 79 gs 550... this thing was so gutless, and heavy, I had to rev it to about 8000rpm and drop the clutch from rolling... haha its quite a laugh when I do it, but it suprises alot of people when they see the old pig standin upright.

The vision will be wheeling this spring!!!
Thanks,

Billy Bob
(Bob Menard)
eBay-   bob-menard ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
84 Honda Big Red 200es
82 Honda 250R
82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
79 Suzuki GS 550e
97 Polaris XLT 600
87 GMC (Modified)

admin

oh yeah,
 I've done many wheelies on both my visions.
 I have pretty much stopped doing them after coming down
 pretty hard one time on my old one.
 I had the thing revved pretty hard and dropped the clutch.
 what I didn't expect was for it to come up quite so high.
 I paniced and immediately hit the rear brake OUCH!
 The vision has never been hurting for low end tourque,
 I maintain that if you could put her on a diet and loose
 50 to 100 lbs or so, it realy would be a wheelie machine.

speaking of stoppies, don't try this at home kids...
 http://www.interdayton.com/STOPPIE.mpeg

-Ron

Rick G

I think that the bike is getting even for all his abuse!! Its going to ride him for a while!
Hey ron do you have a copy of the race footage someone sent in last year? the one where the guy on a Road race bike Kisses the front fender then lands on his manhood and finally recovers!  if you do put it out again, the new guys will get a kick out of it and I NOW ahve a Cd burner and will save it!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike