i have a vision

Started by rooster, March 07, 2003, 11:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

my brother has very kindly given me a vision. it hasn't been used for several years, we managed to get it started, after pushing loads of fuel through.when we got it warm, it wouldn't start again?. also if the exhaust system can't be replaced, could anyone suggest a replacement.
thanks
rooster//URL ;D

Silver_Bullet

Welcome to the forum, Rooster.  If you look at the earlier posts, "hot start problem" should point you in the right direction.  As to the exhaust, if you can find a Mac system, they work fine and are  easy to install.  Don't know of  any new originals still around, and there are more expensive alternatives, like a Predator system.  It's expensive, but all polished stainless steel and a LIFETIME WARRANTY.  I went to  the Mac website, got the  phone number and called.  No longer in production, but if I could wait a few months, they would work it in with a bunch of Virago systems.  Well, it  took four months(bike was being  taken apart to restore anyway) but I got the system for under $200.  Good luck and enjoy what we here appreciate as a fine motorcycle.
If you have to ask why we do this, you wouldn't understand.

Paul_Jungnitsch

There is a Mac system up on ebay at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2406015618&category=34284 for $139 at present.

They are a bit loud and can be frustrating to install, especially on the rear cylinder. I welded restrictors on the outlets of mine to quieten them down which has worked fine. Exhaust leaks where they connect were fixed by changing the rear circular exhaust gaskets, and adding a new set (over top) to the front. It was easiest to reattach the rear exhausts by assembling the clamps, rings, and gaskets; THEN slipping the exhaust pipe into them. Trying to do it the other way round was endlessly frustrating. Removing the water overflow tank and getting the spark assembly out of the way helped a lot as well.

Once installed they have worked well for me for years.

Cdnlouie

Any Vision that has been sitting a spell needs the carbs cleaned, adjusted and synchronized after running well. ?You might want to take advantage of Lucky's service who will ensure that you have a good set ready to go. ?You can spend a lot of time with this bike and a lot of pushing when it will start right up with a crank if the carbs are right. ?The best money you will ever spend on it.

Do a check on the gas tank by flushing and making sure there is no rust in there.

Welcome to the party.  We count you Brits as part of the family you know.

Louie ? 8)

Lucky

check out my site,Vision Resources at http://www.geocities.com/lucky_142
read the whole site, especially the page for "new" Vision (XZ550) owners and as many posts here as you can.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black