News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

tci yellow wire?

Started by ps2/bikevision, April 07, 2005, 12:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ps2/bikevision

ok ive solidered all the conections on my tci and r/r and now i find a solid yellow wire coming out of the r/r that isent conected to anything. does anyone know what this wire goes to ive lost my manual and i cant seem to find it on the forum or luckys site. all i see is the yellow/black rev limeter wire. i am hoping this is what is causing my dead battery problem.

Extent

I don't remember exactly what it's supposed to do, but it's extra for the V.  It only gets used on other bikes, just cap it off so it can't short against anything.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

ps2/bikevision

ok good to know seems it was already cut  when i got the bike. but i was hoping that was the reason for my dead battery. i guess ill have to check the stator and r/r.

Leather

I have never confirmed this but....

believe the yellow wire is a "lighting coil" circuit. A "lighting coil"  is commonly used on dirt bikes (enduro bikes).  It is a seperate winding in the stator that is unregulated to provide power for lights only.  So,  the circuit would provide power that was somewhat relative to the rpm of the bike.  With lights... that isn't a big deal.

I have been told this was used on some of the Euro or Asian models  (xz400 perhaps).

Anyway.... not used in the 550V that I know of and you should just cap off  (tape off, whatever).  MAKE SURE it is not shorting to bike frame.
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way.

ozian

If thats the case Leather, would anyone out there have a list of models that the stator is compatible with a 550
Ian

MotorPlow

You might want to check Rick's and Electrex websites to cross reference the R/R to other bikes.  Then when searching eBay, check for a R/R from these other bikes as well.  I got my R/R from a (I think) Virago for $20.00 and my Stator from a Honda Shadow for $21.95.

Enjoy,
Chris
Callaway, VA

SJB

Ozion, I just put a new electrex stator in my bike. Here are the bikes listed on the box.
Honda- ascot vt 500, vt 600 shadow, vlx 60.
Yamaha- xv 535 virago
Steve

ozian

Thanks Steve. Good info to have in the book  Ian

ps2/bikevision

ok this may be a dumb question but what if you connected the yellow wire to the battery. would it help charge the battery or is it to low of voltage to make a difference. the reason i ask is i have checked the elect. system on my v and it has so far checked out. if i take short trips like to the store or to run erands i have to charge the battery when i get home. (if i make it home without a jump) the battery is also good and so far i cant make heads or tales of it.

or could it be used to run the head light.

and another thing i am adding heated grips to the bike could i use this wire to run them. i may be wrong but if it is puting out juice then why cant we use this to help us instead of letting it go to waiste.

just a few ideas that popped into my head.

Lucky

Quotei have checked the elect. system on my v and it has so far checked out. if i take short trips like to the store or to run erands i have to charge the battery when i get home. (if i make it home without a jump)

If you properly checked out the charging system, using the electrex flow chart, then you wouldn't have a dead battery, or at least you'd know why it was dead...

one note: NEVER jump the bike off a running car unless you like burning out the diodes in the R/R...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ps2/bikevision

i did the test from electrex but i think im going to get a new meter and do it again and then have someone else do it and see if we both come up with the same results. i remember somthing about two heads or somthing along them lines. my meter is just a cheap one from auto zone and i went out and got a good one the other day so ill try it again.

Lucky

the meter must have a DIODE setting (not just ohms) or the results will be wrong...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black