News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Mac exhaust install

Started by jim3547700@yahoo.c, February 19, 2003, 03:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim3547700@yahoo.c

Well I finally did it.  Saw the new Mac on ebay and placed what I thought was a ridiculous bid. Guess I need to learn what that really means.  Anyway I got home from work to an e-mail message that I won.  What could I do but buy it?  Yesterday the weather warmed all the way up to 20 which got my juices flowing and I decided to see what they look like on the bike.  Got out my Haynes looking for any tips on removing the old system (no help) and went to work.  Pretty straightforward until it came to getting the old crossover can free from the rear cyl pipe.  Clamp bolt rusted such that a wrench wouldn't get a hold of it. Decided to remove the front pipes and in doing so the old can fell off.  The stub on the can was rusted nearly off. Ground the bolt off and in tapping (not beating) the remainder of the clamp/stub pipe off I pulled the Y pipe out of the clamps. Did I mention that the new pipe set came with no installation instructions and for all I can tlll maybe not even all the parts?  Anyway now the Y pipe won't snug up in the clamps up top and I forsee this being a problem. I am guessing I ruined the o-ring seals. So the garage is heating up and I'm on my way out to put the new set on (hopefully).  If anybody can offer any advice on what to do about the Y pipe I' accept it gratefully.  Thanks.  Jimbo

George R. Young

The rear exhaust has copper rings which are squished to form a seal, they may need replacing.

I have a MAC exhaust, there should be a front header and two mufflers, and various brackets. I made a center-stand stop from a  pipe clamp, one that looks like
__
   \_/

Hugh Jass

I put my used mac system on 2 years ago but had an "L" shaped bracket left over.  For the life of me I can't figure out where it goes.  The current mounting is pretty solid and I've been riding it in this state since then.  

Can anyone tell me where this peice belongs?

Thanks...

jim3547700@yahoo.c

I got my new system pretty well figured out(I think) today and loosely mounted since I know I'll have to take at least part of it back off to replace the rear cyl exhaust gaskets if I ever find any. I've got that same L bracket and couldn't see any use for it but maybe it is used for a centerstand stop.  Just got that idea from the previous reply to my message and haven't looked at it yet, but maybe?

Silver_Bullet

Guys,
The "L" bracket IS for the center stand stop, but if your set is like mine, it's too short when  mounted on either rear footpeg bolt.  I fabricated an extension and bolted the  two together.  My centerstand appears to be not original, it fits, but looks crooked but not bent(maybe a poor fabrication).  Have you guys purchased these Mac systems recently?  I ordered one last year and waited 4 months for the production line to gear up for it-they told me that they were discontinued, but still worked my order in.

Mark
If you have to ask why we do this, you wouldn't understand.

jimbo

I guess I just got lucky as a dealer in Milwaukee had this new Mac system hanging from the ceiling and decided to auction it off.  Probably figured it was his last best chance to sell the dinosaur.  I checked bikebandit last night for the exhaust gaskets and they reported the part discontinued.  However I checked the vision resource site and they said dennis kirk sells them.  Well the Kirk listing is 20.00 and looks like some kind of gasket set, although it is listed as exhaust gasket.  Anyway it says this set fits a bunch of bikes and so I picked the newest year it listed which happens to be a 1988 FZR750 and the OEM gaskets for it, which according to Kirk are the same, are still available.  I'm trying to amke sure they will work before ordering a set.  Did you order yours in the US?

Silver_Bullet

Jimbo,

Didn't order the gasket set when I installed my pipes.  They weren't bad and have sealed fine.  Cleaned them up, put on pipes and viola!  Loud-ass ratty sounding exhaust system.  May save pennies and spring for the Predator system down the road.  Right now, just trying to keep head above water...Literally :o.  Just had six inches of rain in four hours, have one foot of water on my patio, water just touching the crankcase of Vision, and more rain on the way.  The only bad downside to life in South  Louisiana.

Mark

jasonm.

If someone needs a Y-pipe for the rear to get that MAC system doen right...I might have one.   jsmthefix@msn.com
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Rick G

Hey Silver Bullet The Mac does not produce  a"  loud ass ratty " sound . The stock system sounds like a Hover with a head cold. The Mac pipe sounds throaty and powerful !! At least with it I can tell if the engine is running when the tach dies. keeps me from falling asleep on long rides too! Forgive me, I come from an era when bikes were less technical  and more viseral that today. This is probably a limited phase, soon we will be limited to fuel cell powered electric motorcycles, that make no more noise than a bicycle!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Silver_Bullet

Hey Rick,

Sorry guy, must be a language barrier, didn't mean it sounded horrible, but ratty, like loud enough to be cool, like you ever heard a well tuned big block chevy V8 (rat motor)?  I agree it sounds infinitely better than stock and never had to rejet to get good throttle response.  Rain is now gone, can hopefully get back to work on bike.  Take care

Rick G

So Silver where is it that the rains are over?  Yes, your terminoligy escaped me, for a minet.
Makes sense Rat motor.  We had a V-max in the shop last year , with a fairly loud set of  pipes and it sounded like a hot small block Chevy! it was out of site!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Silver_Bullet

Rick, I sure hope you're not getting all the rain we saw here...had to work overtime with P.D. and evacuate a couple of subdivisions.  Found out that a 2002 Crown Vic can go through pretty deep water(up to headlights).  I also love the sound of the V-Max, always wanted one, but knowing my luck they'll quit making them when I can afford one.  Hope Yamaha does a complete redesign, but keeps the engine. 8)

jim bluemer

The L bracket works fine but you don't mount it to the footpeg bolt,  it needs to be mounted to the lowest bolt on the heavy mounting bracket (the one with 3 holes in it.  At least that's how it worked for me.  Jim