News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

clutch engaging late

Started by greener, February 02, 2003, 09:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greener

Hey guys, I need a hand with my 82 vision.  the clutch doesnt engage until I have the clutch handle pretty much the whole way out.  the cable is fine, and adjusted properly.  took the side cover off and the set screw is set perfectly as I checked under the bike to make sure the needle was pointing in the right area of the triangle.  Im a little scared that it might need the clutch pack.  Is there anything tips or advice you can give?  thanks

bikeseamus

Greener  Assuming the clutch isn't slipping, the basket and plates and springs are probably fine. Take the slack out of the cable and you change the engagemant position, it's pretty straight ahead. Make real sure your cable isn't binding. Real slippery inside the cable is it? I adjust mine for very little freeplay, maybe 1/2 inch measured at the outside arc of the handle. Check it out.

Lucky

Clutch cables can stretch and look fine, so don't take it for granted.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Cdnlouie

Clutch cables can be the wrong type (maybe too short on the inner wire) and actually be taking up too much of the slack so that you get a late engagement.

Also, make sure the clutch cable is routed properly as binding can also shorten the cable and take up normal clutch play.

Make sure you do not have your adjuster on the clutch lever too tight.  The lever does not have to snap up tight to the stop.

You may want to add  a bit more clearance on the clutch rod by giving the adjustment screw (right side of engine under cap) another quarter of a turn from the point where it just bumps (turn back counter-clockwise).

Clutches are a bit of a preference thing as well, since most riders will do a custom adjustment to get the lever to engage where they like it and can still keep good control of the bars.  Most riders like to be able to "feather" the clutch and so may prefer an earlier engagment where control is generally easier to meter.

If your clutch is not slipping your problem is probably one of these adjustment features.

Louie   ;)

greener

hey guys, thanks for all the advice

Cdnlouie

Hey Greener, why not join the forum instead of just hanging out as a guest.