News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Winter project, R1 style

Started by Dave T., December 30, 2002, 07:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave T.

I was lookin' around on E-bay the last couple of weeks and seen some mufflers. After seeing David Suleki's (spelling?) custom V, I decided to try something like that too.

There was a few CR450F mufflers for sale, but they got $70+ dollars for them, so I said hmmm. Then I came across a 2001 Yamaha R1 cannister for $6. WHOA! There was even a Titainium one for sale for $10. Well, I got outbid on both of them, but I figured $36 was as high as I would go. So the next thing ya know I have a R1 cannister! Well, since it was in California, I had to pay $21 to ship it here to MN.

Just got it tonight, pulled my MAC exhaust off and gave it a "quick fit". Here is a picture.

Well, what do you guys think? I just got it mounted to my rear passenger peg and the stock bolt even fits onto the R1's mounting nut. This is the easy part. Tomorrow I'm going to the auto shop and try to piece together some auto mufflers to get a "Y" fitting to tie into the cannister (after I cut it). It may be tricky getting around the centerstand mounts, mainly I just use to work on it at home (it's removed). ?8)

The R1 Can has stainless steel rivets, and has a stainless collector pipe. I had to drill the single rivet (used a cold chisel) to move the clamp down the cannister. The local junkyard (www.sportwheel.com) may have a Y piece to tie into the 2"+ stainless R1 can. A stock V exhaust collector or something off another bike may work.
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

Rick G

Hi Dave,  Great mind run in the same circles! i was thinking along those same lines . Keep us posted.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

yamy

DT - You can probably find a scrap exhaust system to cut up and assemble the needed parts to join into the R1 silencer. That is how I made mine, this was the simplest method to achieve all of the neccasary bends. A little work with hacksaw and band sander to work the joints in neatly works very well  :D

I think that you will be amazed how simple it is to assemble your own. The welding can usually be jobbed out if your not savvy. Maybe try a trade or mechanics school, sometimes the young kids are willing to do this for the experience, for no cost  ;)

Make sure you post a pic, I really would like to see how it turns out! I think I like the idea of using the two exit pipes into the silencer better then my own set up. That should flow better than mine, which has a tight bend to it.

Later - Dave Sulecki (yamy)

Dave T.

Update time. I went to a cycle junkyard today and all I found was junk. I wanted a good "Y" piece, about 1 1/2 to 2 1/4. Looked at junkers for about an hour, couldn't find any thing that would be "easy" to retrofit.

I called Midas this morning and they said I could come in the afternoon and try to bend some pieces up for me. So, I got there and they had a machine that makes bends up to 135 degrees in pipe from 1 1/2" up to 3". So the manager took me back and grabbed a scrap 1 1/2" piece about 2' long and proceeded to make a few bends. This is what I came out with.

The old MAC system is on the left, the hacked off R1 pipe is at the back right and the "do it yourself"  Midas piece is front right. I'm going to take the Midas piece to work this week, cut it and weld it up to fit the R1 collector (about 2.37" I.D.).

The neat thing is the guy at MIDAS didn't even charge me for the piece. Looks like I will going back there for expanding the ends to fit over my exsisting setup. My truck needs and exhaust soon, guess where I will be taking it? Ha ha, scratch my back, I scratch yours....   ;D

Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

Dave T.

Update time again. I finally got a "Y" pipe fabricated. After getting Midas to bend me a 1 1/2" 90 deg bend with the ends expanded (this one cost me $10), I cut and welded up the piece to end up with this.

I am using a large channel lock to "ovalize" the R1 cannister pipe. I will then weld these two pieces together. I will get it to work, but I may have to re-jet.

Cdnlouie

Hey man, how is it going?  I am waiting for the grand conclusion here.  Great pics and great idea.  You will have to record a wav file for us to hear the sound.

Waiting for spring, Louie  ::)

Dave T.

The grand conclusion is that it is a difficult project. I thought the R1 pipe was stainless until I tried to weld it. It just kept cracking when it cooled and didn't hold. Then I put it to the grinder and WA-LA, white sparks. Titanium. My welding book doesn't recommend welding of titanium to any other metal other than titanium. So I have to make a steel collector and tolerance fit it into the ti R1 pipe. Sealing it off will be difficult too.

I should be able to get it to work, but it will look like a hack job....   :(

Mark_LeBlanc

Read with interest the exhaust mod.  After the Mac system burned out on my first '82, took Supertrap 4" canister muffler and had local muffler shop make "Y" pipe.  Cut the pipes just before the flare to the mufflers and clamped "Y" there.  The discs in the Supertrap let you adjust muffler to bike, no rejetting.  Can also rebuild the muffler with kits from manufacturer.  Just another thought on the subject.

Dave T.

Well, I finally got the rough draft done and put together. I completely fabricated the Y pipe myself and welded it together. I used the MAC system exhaust clamps only. To seal the ends I used ultra copper high temp silicone (700 deg F intermittent) on the inside of the flanged ends. I didn't use any sealant at the Ti/steel junction because it didn't leak when I ran it.

Here is a picture:

I just have to put a rivet in the R1 can's clamp on the back side and paint the Y pipe to combat rust. I will drill a 1/16" hole in the lowest part of the Y to drain out condensation too so it won't rust out. I have 500 deg F aluminum or 1500 deg F flat black stove paint. I'm not sure which one I will use. I also had to move the rear turn signals up to the "other" mounting hole, since the pipe would have hit the signal. Also I made sure the pipe didn't hit the swingarm when bottomed (which it doesn't).

I would make a wav file for the sound (which is awesome I might add, nice and quiet) but I don't know how or what equipment I need. It revved fine, so I don't think I will have to rejet.

If you are ambitious, this is the job for you. It took about 10 hours of work and about $20 in material.

Cdnlouie

Pretty cool work DT.  To get a wav file you can grab someone with a notebook and just plug in a microphone and as Humber said use the Windows recording program.  Some digital camera's now have video clip capability which will do an avi recording which is playable in windows media player.  The vidoe clip will be a larger file of course.

I guess I had better ask the question whether we can even put a sound file on this site?  I don't honestly know.

Dave T.

I painted the Y black and put the rivet in the R1 Can. I left the Ti/Steel junction alone. The junction may work loose, or my clamps, but I will see when I get it out and ride it. The can seems pretty solid, doesn't move at all.

I have an IBM A20 thinkpad and I will bring it out and see if I can record the exhaust sound. It has Windows 98, and I have the XP ungrade disk. I don't know what kind of sound quality I will get. I will try it soon.

I tried to record the V sound with my notebook and it sounded like #@$% so I am bailing out on trying to get a wav file. Sorry...  :(

Cdnlouie

I forgot to mention that there is some nice gloss black hi-temp paint around these days.  I use it on my dual exhaust system on my four wheels.  It will clean up and shed dirt better.

I was thinking about trying some hi-temp epoxy for doing a repair to a set of stock exhaust I bought recently.  This stuff is for exhaust manifolds which I would imagine get a lot more heat than the vision.  That could work for your joint between the Ti/steel.