News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Need Help!  tank coating cracked and rust in tank

Started by Robert Fisher, January 19, 2003, 08:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Fisher

I have a questions to all of you Vision riders out there.  I recently was given a 1982 Vision from a nephew who is in the Marines and left it stored for a couple years outside not under cover with the gas tank empty.   Ouch!   I know.

My question is;   how do I remove the coating on the inside of the tank because there is some ( not a lot)  of rust and chunks of coating ( it rattles when you shake it) under the coating?  

I am going through each part completely since my nephew dropped it off when I was not at home and is now enroute to Kwait.  

PS.   I have been searching the web for info on the Vision, and I hear so many wonderful statements about the Vision that I am excited to get it running.

Thanks,

Robert Fisher
Sacramento, CA, USA

Lucky

go to my site, "Vision Resources" http://www.geocities.com/lucky_142
and go to the page on tank restoration.  there is a page there about "POR-15.  this product is available in a kit that includes stuff to remove old coatings.  it's not expensive and is by far the best tank coating out there.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

bikeseamus

Robert  Something else you might do is include about a pound of the smallest sharpest screws you can find. A good choice is the framing screws used when framing steel studs. Shakemupbaby when you use the POR in stage one. These guys are aggressive, and will help you remove the scale and rust a bit faster. Yup. A magnetic retrieving tool will help you get them all out afterwards, and then you can still use them to screw on sheet metal patches.Handy little dudes.

Lucky

I like a bit of swag (lamp) chain myself, easier to retrieve with a coat hanger, and not as likley to get stuck in the corners.
--Lucky

Rick G

It sounds to me that you MAY have  a detereorated kreem coating, Por 15 has a kit to remove  kreem and  seal the residual rust in place. I think everyonr should use this to coat their  tank even if they don't have a problem now, it can happen at any time. I gave 17.95 for my kit.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

bassist

Hi guys this is my first time on the forum, I am the proud owner of 83 vision,I actually live in Venezuela.  ;DMy motorcycle its's just runnig perfect, I just have a question, where can I find in my country any manual to repair the motor when ever it need it.
Tomas
bassplayer_to@hotmail.com

Lucky