Signs you might be an ROV/Vision junkie...

Started by Lucky, January 10, 2003, 11:52:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

You might be an ROV/Vision junkie if:

--You check the forum for new posts BEFORE your first cup of coffee...
--Your boss tells you the server is down, and you asked if they installed an inline filter...
--Your stuck in the hospital for a week and ask to use a PC so you can reply to the forum... (guilty!)
--Your thrilled to see an automated reply in your "inbox" from ghetti.net...
--You spend more time thinking of the forum than you do your wife/gf/so....
--Three people in a row ask you the same question, and you refer the 4th to: http://www.ghetti.net/cgi-bin/ROVBB/...
--Have a brilliant idea in a dream and run out to the garage at 3am to try it out...
--You wear a hole in the rug between the garage and the PC trying to trace down that pesky electrical problem...
--The wife complaines of Vision parts in the kitchen sink and computer print-outs all over the counters...
--Your bath towels are monogramed "ROV"...
--Your address book and IM "buddy list" contain all ROV members, except for Mom...
Got any others guys?
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

glennw

Signs you are a Vision junkie:
You hold your breath when you press the starter button.
You constantly monitor the volt meter in EVERYTHING you get into.
Your fix it god is named it ?Lucky?
You know why YCIS is.
You answer ?what is it? before they ask.
You work on it almost has much as you ride it

Come on you guys???..
Half Mad Max

George R. Young

Signs you're a Vision junkie:

You carry a spare TCI on any trip.
You've got a scavenged parts bike in the back of the garage.
You seriously consider on-the-road stator replacement.
You've modified the starter to use a different oil seal.

bikeseamus

Well here's the thing with me. Years ago I used to be a social worker. I'm only gonna say that once. The difference is with a motorcycle you can consult with your "fellows", decide what you think is the best approach to a problem, spend one or two sessions with it, and the problem is solved, and it brings joy. Try that with a sociopath. Not to mention that the problem involves following an entirely logical process of eliminating causes that weren't caused by improper parental modeling, bad genetics (at least with yamahas),improper brain functioning, or any of eighteen zillion socially and legally acceptable excuses for misbehavior. When you have completed these steps, often while listening to music, with the phone on "answer", and you take this supposedly inanimate object out for a ride, where it literally carries you to places you choose to go while singing a song you not only love to hear but actually wrote yourself, you begin to understand you are having what may be called a "life". Not bad, either. Just  a thought, but that's where I live.

Rick G

George, you described me to a T!  Bikeseamus your quite a philosifer,  Your Higher education is showing. (And my lousy spelling, Just sound it out !)
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

bikeseamus

Rick  No big deal buddy. I don't think anyone is having a problem understanding you. Ride on.

bikeseamus

George  I must be a junkie too. Everyrhing you mentioned is what I thought was a "prudent motorcycle traveler". I was talking to an old motorcycle traveler who said the thing he missed the most about the old bikes is that they MADE you meet new people as they broke and you needed things. Quite a few adventures began when the old bikes stopped. I could add a chapter or two myself. Now I gotta fake the problems and choose where to have them. Just joking, I would never do that now that I'm a husband and a father. You may not be a junkie so much as an old Coast Guardsman. Semper Paratus means always prepared, and that aint a bad thing. Ride on.

George R. Young

Here's a couple of times when the preparedness quotient wasn't so high.

Riding back from Roanoke VA to Ottawa ONT, no stator output, push-starting, riding sans lights.

Broken clutch cable on the Skyline Drive, knot tied in the end, 4 loops of electrical wire joining cable to clutch actuator.

Now I carry the spare stator, allen key and impact driver for the roadside repair, and a spare clutch cable.

Brian Moffet

Knowing (and having the equipment) to repair the YICS vacuum line when you hear slight backfiring and the temperature starts to rise, on the side of the freeway, at the border of California and Oregon.

Duct tape works wonders :-)

Brian

blurred_vision

---You are constantly checking E-Bay for parts you MAY need some day??  ::) And I don't even have my Vision delivered yet!(winning bid on E-Bay)  I can't wait to get it and start working on it!! :P

Jeff

---You can't remember where you left the shop manual, the garage, kitchen, bedroom, or head..(coastie talk) because you've read it everywhere at one point in time.  

----Your box-o-parts needs to be inventoried again because you just can't remember what you bought and what you've used.

----When you try to tell your co-workers of a new fix you installed, they just don't understand!!!

----You get great advice about a flywheel fix before you leave for work in the morning.. (thanks Lucky and Rick)

----The Christmas present your wife gives you is a coupon for a part you need (she was afraid she would order the wrong thing)

jeff

Dave T.

1. You spend all of your extra time/money making a 21 year old motorcycle look and work like a 2.1 year old motorcycle. ?;D

2. You spend more time lookin' around on the ROV fourm than any other fourm. ? :o

3. You like working on a motorcycle just as much, if not more than riding  one. ? :P

4. You spend 1 hour trying to be an html expert only to NOT get your image posted how you want it (you only get a little red "x" in a box instead).

5. You actually think you get good at html and start posting goofy smiley faces doing strange things.

I could keep going on, and on.... Sheesh...
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

bikeseamus

DT  I think you ARE good at goofy face posting!  I think the guy on the bottom is the one Lucky is glad he aint. Me too!

zayanteman

1. Every time your Vision breaks down, and all your riding buddies advise that you sell it and buy the VFR, you fix it anyways.

2. When it's your birthday and your wife asks you what you want, you tell her "a Corbin seat for my Vision" (just got it today!).

3. Even though you really want that VFR Interceptor, there's
something in your heart that can't let go of the bike you've put a hundred hours into!

4. Even after you pushed the bike home, you just joke and put the battery on the charger and vow never to run the auxilliary lights and the heated vest at the same time.  You don't curse or get mad, you just figure out how to prevent it from happening again (even though it's happened like 5 times before, and you never learned your lesson).

5. Even after all your friends and family tell you to get rid of your Vision, you ignore them and work on "just a little more" to "get it reliable."  

6. Each new problem that arises is just "something you missed" in your ever-persistent quest towards making the Vision a reliable bike.  So you don't give up.

7. You tell yourself that "it has been good to have to work on this bike so much, becase I'm learning a lot about mechanics," even though you know that none of your skills will transfer to a new bike...

8. You believe the salesman at the Honda dealership when he tells you that "you should hold on to that Vision, because it will be worth a lot someday", even though your friend is laughing when he says it.

bikeseamus

Zayanteman  I think you will find out after you get your VFR that you will still want to ride your vision.As for the salesman saying the vision will be worth something "someday", I would say that someday is every time you ride it and it brings you joy. Salesmen deal in numbers. I guess you can numerically quantify joy with numbers, but try holding onto the vision until you don't want to ride it anymore. Then you will know it's lost it's worth. Also, don't think your skills acquired on the vision aren't transferrable to other bikes. The logical process of diagnosing and repairing problems transfers to all things mechanical and a few that aren't. Ride on.